Flow while cycling?

moz

Chromis
Reaction score
How much flow do I need while cycling? I had quite good flow but due to what I think is an electrical problem I made some changes which results in a lot less flow, I still have water movement throughout most of the tank, but not that much.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
That should be fine Moz, as long as you get the flow back up before you start adding live stock.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Before you add any live stock, you will need to get your tank flow to around 20x volume (a rough guide, lots more for sps perhaps less for fish only)
You need to calculate by taking the water volume then add up all the ltrs per hour of your powerheads and divide the total powerhead volume by the tank volume.
I.e. 1000 litre tank volume.
4 powerheads at 5000 litres per hour = 20,000ltrs per hour
1000 = 20 times turn over,
It's worth noting that as you add liverock and corals your flow will be slowed so you may need to increase your powerheads as you go.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
ouch thats hash...

moz

Chromis
Reaction score
Ignoring posts 4 and onward, thanks for the advise, I’ll defiantly be adding some more powerheads before I stock the tank, just threw in what I had when I main pump starting giving me problems, at the moment flow is about 3-5x volume.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Witch is better having 2 big powerheads or 4-6 smaller ones?

I would go for maybe one bigish one and a few smaller ones.
i would go for all small then you have more spead of water flow
thats my 2 cents worth

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i would go for all small then you have more spead of water flow
thats my 2 cents worth
You would certainly get even flow with lots of smaller p/h's but if you have a, say 2m tank, you will still need a decent size p/h just to move the water about, my 2m will have 4 deltec 6080's (8000lts/p/h) and an eheim 1260 as a return and that i think will still be quite tame compared to some.
i think good flow is better than high flow, the flow needs to go round/in/under/over your rock work to stop deadspots etc
So i would say that you need to look at your tank and try to work out what you will need to schieve good flow

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Hey Fireshrimp, welcome to MASA.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Thanks DragonReef