flow through skimmer chamber

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by sweetnsour, 26 Feb 2010.

1. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Sup fellow reefers
    here's my problem hope some of you can help me out.
    i have a 50mm pvc pipe that enters the 1st chamber in my sump which houses my skimmer.
    due to the total size of the sump the first chamber is just big enough to fit the skimmer, but im finding that having the overflow pipe in the same chamber is causing the skimmer to not work as effectively as i would like it to.
    the flow through that chamber is very fast and rough, thus my question to you is how can i slow the water down in the chamber while allowing the overflow water to enter lower down inside the chamber, while avoiding all the bubbles.
    (i can honestly admit , when designing my sump i should have made provisions for one of those overflow boxes inside the sump, but alas its done and i now need to live with it)
    all your help and advise is greatly appreciated.
    cheers SnS

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If there is too much flow through the sump then the only thing you can really do is to use a smaller return pump. What size return pump have you got?

4. davidfr7

davidfr7

Is The over flow coming from DT or is it going through ATS? If so let some of that water fall into the return chamber. say a 25 mm pipe and the 50mm to the skimmer chamber.

Or try direct that 50mm towards the glass giving it time to get rid of air bubble

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Thread Starter

problem solved!!!!!

I added a large sock to the overflow pipe, with a piece of LR inside of it to keep the sock downward.

this not only made the overflow quiet but it also reduced the flow inside the chamber nicely so its no longer turbulent, thus allowing my skimmer to effectively catch / trap most of the dirt and gunk.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

lol well done sweet :thumbup:

7. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

thats what i did,it works wonders;) i use a stocking with a peice of live rock to keep it down.you will be suprised to see how much gunk collects in there...i wash it out every two to three days.

Recent Posts