Flow suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by neo, 9 Apr 2010.

1. neo

neo

Hello,
    your suggestions for flow in my DT will be appriciated.

My DT is 370l volume wise, taking rocks/substrate into account i guess water volume of 300l.

I'm currently running two 6000l/h pheads alternating between the two on a timer.
    the pheads are on the back pane on left/right side of tank aimed to middle of tank.

by looking at the 'stuff' floating around flow is random and good, although i dont know what 'good flow' should look like.

do i need more flow ?
    do i need more linear flow or is random flow fine ?
    should i rather aim the pheads to the surface ?

i want to add 2 more small pheads, about 2000 - 3000 l/h each and have them run both continuesly with the bigger ones alternating like now and then switching the big ones off during the night, is this scheme ok/flawed ?

thx.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Neo - your water flow depends on what you are keeping, and want to keep.

For SPS and some soft-corals, you can have a huge amount of flow. The MOST important thing about thing water flow, is that it should be very tubulent, random and chaotic. Also - your water flow should be very wide and dispersed - not direct and jet-type water flow.

So - in theory - it would be better to have more smaller power-heads in the tank, than only a very few bigger one's.

Pointing the outlets towards the water surface definitely assists with air/oxygen/carbon-dioxide exchange.

For keeping most LPS corals, you should NOT have a lot of water flow. And some soft-corals (ie some mushrooms/corrallimorph/rhodactis/ricordia as well)....

You should look at WHY you have what type of water flow in your tank:
    - this is to supply food to the corals
    - to remove toxins from the corals

SPS corals generally demand a very huge water flow - and the more random/turbulent and chaotic, the better.

Soft-corals generally adapt very well to medium to high water flow.....

Hope this helps.

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

That depends on what you want to keep Neo. At the moment you got more or less 40 times flow in your tank - return pump excluded. You take 12000 devided by the litres(300), that gives you 40x
    25-30 is enough for most softies and LPS corals. SPS require more flow. Should you add 2 more pumps of 2000lph, then you increas your flow to about 53x
    I prefer 4 or 6 smaller pumps rather than 2 big ones as you can aim them in more directions.
    Your return pump should only be about 2500-3000lph to maximize DSB contact and the skimmer will also remove more DOC's
    Hope this helps :)

5. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx.
    combining your posts, does that mean that medium flow can be seen as 25 - 30 times DT volume, and left/right of this as low/high flow ?
    @jacques how do i know that flow is wide/dispersed and not to much jet like?

for now i will stick to softies and LPS so i'l go for 25x volume with 4 pumps, does this sound ok ?

6. jacquesb

Hi Neo - the type of water flow is determined by the power-head's outlet size. The smaller the outlet size, the less the dispersed flow. The wider the outlet size of the power-head, the more dispersed the water flow.

And yes - anything up to 50 times tank volume turnover per hour can be counted as "medium flow" in my humble opinion. Above that - strong water flow, below 20 times volume turnover, low flow (that said: 20 to 30 times I would count as low-medium flow)....

And yes - that sounds great for soft-corals, Neo.

7. Nixxon

Nixxon

@Jacques/Tobes - Sorry guys, I just have some questions... My DT is approximately 400 litres minus LR... are you guys say that in order to get a flow rate of 50 (Pretty Fair) I would need say 4 PH that put out 5000 lph?

I am looking at building a new tank which has a CLS with 4 "spouts" in the DT which come up under the sand in each corner blowing to the middle... I was kind of hoping to get away with using a more powerful pump to do drive the CLS instead of using two or more pumps... however, in light of the above, I would need a pump that delivers 20,000 lph to drive all for "spouts" at 5000 lph?

Are my assumptions correct? Or perhaps is flow from a PH calculated differently to the flow delivered from a CLS because its pumping water and not moving it?

Sorry for the newb questions... but the CLS concept has really caught my attention as it eliminates those nasty looking PH and cables as well as heat, etc...

Your thoughts?

8. jacquesb

Yes Nixxon. That is indeed 100% correct.

You can use one more powerful pump, on a CLS if you want, IF you have multiple large diameter outlets. And no - you would need at least 24000 to 26000 liter per hour pump, or 2 x 12000 liter per hours on the CLS. Because you loose a LOT of water flow "power" in the bends of the CLS.... and in the "head"......

9. Nixxon

Nixxon

Thanks Jacques,

I have been reading more of the threads (I found this morning :D) about flow and I am a little confused now about the amount of flow I am going to need in my tank :(

I mostly keep fish but certainly want to keep some soft corals and who knows down the line... there seems to be quite some debate whether or not high flow really is necessary?

All I want to achieve is a good flow in the DT which keep all "unwanted's" from settling on the substrate :) I want to ensure that I have the correct amount of movement in my tank that will allow me to keep a wide range of inhabitants...

Any suggestions?

10. jacquesb

Nixxon - you only really need very high flow, if you want to specialize in keeping SPS corals. Otherwise medium flow would be more than ample for MOST soft-corals and definitely for fish.

Fish is not really bothered that much with the water flow.

11. Nixxon

Nixxon

Thanks Jacques,

What sort of Flow rate should I be looking to achieve then? Between 20 and 30 or as much as 50?

Sorry for the daft questions, just want to get a good idea what I am in for :)

Thanks again for the advice! :)

12. jacquesb

Hi Nixxon - you can always build up your waterflow, as and how you gain experience, and start keeping SPS. You can indeed start off with 20 to 30 times water flow.

This should be perfect for most soft-corals, and all LPS corals. As I said - for fish, it does not matter......

And no - no such thing as "Daft questions" mate!

13. Nixxon

Nixxon

Thanks again Jacques!

The reason I want to make the right decisions up front is I want to go with CLS so proper planning and the right decisions up front I have read are key because once the tank is drilled and done I want to make sure its running the way it should be :)

Great, I will aim for between 20 and 30 and if I need more I guess I can always get a bigger pump :D HEHEHEHE

Again, much appreciation for the advice, forum's like these are INVALUABLE!! :)

FYI - will be starting a thread with my Tank Build if you are interested to see what I end up going with :)

Recent Posts