flow question

Reaction score
hi guys

battling a bit with detrius ....moved powerheads etc etc....thinking of maybe making a latticework of pvc with holes drilled into it to move water from my return pump to under my substrate (crushed coral) .....any ideas...or will i be building my own little nitrate factory

Reaction score
Rather build pvc piping with a few outlets that will blow in between your liferock formations to blow detritus from between them into the water column.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
hi guys

battling a bit with detrius ....moved powerheads etc etc....thinking of maybe making a latticework of pvc with holes drilled into it to move water from my return pump to under my substrate (crushed coral) .....any ideas...or will i be building my own little nitrate factory
If you connect your return pump to any pipe frame work, remember to drill a hole in the return line just below the water surface to prevent water from siphoning back incase of a power outage or if you should switch the pump off.
How big is your crushed coral?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
tobes coral is about 3-5mm
Too big, replace with fine sand, will be much better/safer in the long run. Believe me, I've been there - also had big crushed coral and could never get my nitrates down. I had nuisance algae by the kg's :p

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Frans - here's my opinion:
I agree fully with BOTH Mekaeel and Tobes - BUT BUT BUT....

I also fully believe in that ANY reefer will ALWAYS still struggle with detritus..... No matter HOW MUCH flow you have in your tank, you will STILL always HAVE to siphon or blow the detritus from the corners of the tank, from below the rock/inbetween the rock, as well as from the inside of the rock. This is just part of the maintenance routine of being a marine reefkeeper!

So - yeah - follow the suggestions - and do indeed get more flow - BUT, take my advice to heart as well.....

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Frans - here's my opinion:
I agree fully with BOTH Mekaeel and Tobes - BUT BUT BUT....

I also fully believe in that ANY reefer will ALWAYS still struggle with detritus..... No matter HOW MUCH flow you have in your tank, you will STILL always HAVE to siphon or blow the detritus from the corners of the tank, from below the rock/inbetween the rock, as well as from the inside of the rock. This is just part of the maintenance routine of being a marine reefkeeper!

So - yeah - follow the suggestions - and do indeed get more flow - BUT, take my advice to heart as well.....
Good advice Jacques. Yeah, you'll always have poopoo playing hide and seek :p

Reaction score
thanks all for the advice im sure we all battle with the poop...thanks jacques im currently using a small submersible pump to wich i attached a ppiece of tubing to get rid of the poop.....just considering options to make life easier...reggies sand in here already....just hectic at the office so this will have to wait until december when i shut down my company for festive season :slayer:...one question though if i build a pvc framework and put my LR on top....how high of the sand ?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
thanks jacques....just need to gather up the time and courage to do the mods
Build it so that you put the LR on top and around it and leave one side open to create a cave for your fishies to hide and sleep in ;)

Reaction score
Or even better, remove the sand...... keep it somewhere else....RDSB...

Reaction score
doing something similar - got the husband sorting out the plumbing for my new tank & i've got him to put pvc pipes along the back with small holes drilled in it to 'feed' the LR. think it'll provide some good flow through the rock.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Frans - this decision would be whether you actually want a DSB in your tank, or not. If you decide you WANT a DSB, then at least 12cm..... if you decide you DON'T want a DSB in-tank, then, around 3 to 4cm, I would say......

Your decision - BUT, my opinion (for what it is worth) I would say, go DSB - but, IF you do decide to have a sand-bed in your tank at all - REMEMBER: you WILL have to disturb the surface to at least a centimetre or so, every few days/once a week.... just to ensure that you maintain it at least!

BUT - it does at least add to the "natural look" of a garden reef tank.......

Reaction score
finally decided to change my substrate in about 2 /3 wks time (hectic at work)...bought some playsand 7 will be bringing in some beach sand from El (wife has taken the kids for a short holiday)...sorry jacques i wont be going DSB in my DT rather put DSB in my sump..what i would like to know is there any use in "cycling" my new sand in a seperate tank (have a 60 ltr spare) with 1/2 pcs LR so long

Reaction score
finally decided to change my substrate in about 2 /3 wks time (hectic at work)...bought some playsand 7 will be bringing in some beach sand from El (wife has taken the kids for a short holiday)...sorry jacques i wont be going DSB in my DT rather put DSB in my sump..what i would like to know is there any use in "cycling" my new sand in a seperate tank (have a 60 ltr spare) with 1/2 pcs LR so long
it depends on how long its been out of the water, do not transport the sand in water, but do it damp. The oxygen-loving bacteria will quickly use up all the oxygen and everything in there will die. SO, if it hasnt been a long journey, or if its done properly, you could add it in, if not, maybe just cycle it separately cause you dont want to cause another cycle in your tank(i did this a bit unknowingly and suffered..)

Last edited: