Flow pumps

Reaction score
hi all

this weekend i went to go buy a flow pump.
its a seio super flow pump
.m1500(model)
.does 6000 lph
.paid 650.00 rand

i then went to go look at a second shop who offered me a minjiang pump.
.mj 803 (model)
.does 2000 lph
.paid 170.00 rand

tested both pumps in the water, the second pump is a lot stronger but has a direct flow. the first pump does not have as much a strong flow as the second pump but the flow is more evenly spread.
can anyone advise me which would be better for my tank?
the circulation pump in the sump is an ocean runner or 3500 but i was advised to get a flow pump for my tank(1500x600x600).

The SEIO is definitely a much better choice due to the dispersed flow that it offers, the other powerhead you have will feel stronger as all of the flow is concentrated into a small stream/jet, which we refer to as laminar flow. Dispersed flow is preferred as it is safer and gentler for the inhabitants in our tanks. It's like taking a normal shower or using a hosepipe instead, you'll prefer the showerhead I'm sure :) The SEIO is a bit deceiving but you can be rest assured that it is doing what it is supposed to, just about 90% of reefers here have SEIO's in their tanks.

In your 1.5m tank I would add at least another 2 SEIO M1100's.

with you second pump,have it blowing against the glass,this will disperse the water onto your aquascaping

haha,yeh i would take the shower over the hose.
thanks so much for the help guys.
2 more pumps? i find that when i open up the valve just off the or 3500 pump it has enough flow to disperse the gravel on the bottom of my tank so i just put some live rock to prevent my gravel from being swept aside.

The OR 3500 is a nice powerful pump, perhaps think about splitting the outlet into 2 or 3 outlets, that way you will spread the large amount of flow over the entire aquarium instead of just in 1 place, will probably also eliminate the need for an extra pump or 2 in the display.

hi all

this weekend i went to go buy a flow pump.
its a seio super flow pump
.m1500(model)
.does 6000 lph
.paid 650.00 rand

i then went to go look at a second shop who offered me a minjiang pump.
.mj 803 (model)
.does 2000 lph
.paid 170.00 rand

tested both pumps in the water, the second pump is a lot stronger but has a direct flow. the first pump does not have as much a strong flow as the second pump but the flow is more evenly spread.
can anyone advise me which would be better for my tank?
the circulation pump in the sump is an ocean runner or 3500 but i was advised to get a flow pump for my tank(1500x600x600).
Hi im wondering if you could help me....i was browsing the net looking for these make pumps and came to your question asking the guys about a pump that you were looking at buying.....it was a minjiang..... Now my one has recently broken and im having difficulty getting petshops that stock them>>>>hence my trying to get info on the site....??? Do you perhaps recall the name of the shop where these pumps were or have any contact details??? Thanks so much for the trouble anyway... Regards Dewald van Wyk.....Please could you reply to my cell number:XXXXXXXX(JB: edited - removed cell number) - via sms or so....as i dont have access to the net...or often at least...and this is kind of urgent.??

Last edited by a moderator:
A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Dewald! Great to have you on-board! Please start a new thread in which you introduce yourself, in the "New Members" Forum?

Please tell us more about your tank and life stock that you are keeping?

I have replied to your post, via PM.

Back
Top Bottom