Flow over DSb

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
In the simple sump I am designing, water goes from the tank overflow to a skimmer chamber, then over a DSB and into a return pump chamber (maybe with some baffles after the skimmer to reduce micro bubbles).
I've been thinking that whatever the flow of my pump is - say 6000lph or more - this will probably be too fast a flow over the DSB. Am I correct and if so, what is the simplest design to divert some or most of the flow away from the DSB?

Fantastic site guys - I've picked up many tips that I know would have caused me much grief if I hadn't incorporated them into my final design up front!

Cheers, and merry Christmas to you all.

KevinW

Shrimp
Reaction score
What size is the sump, or more specifically, what is the surface area of your DSB and what depth of water runs over it?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What size is the sump, or more specifically, what is the surface area of your DSB and what depth of water runs over it?
Yes also what water volume is the entire system.

I have a pump 6000L p/h on my 800L system, but after the head height, SCWD and ends I reckon its down quite a bit.

But flow over my 1.1m x 50cm dsb is nice and gentle

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
safe question..

Display 850l
Sump 270l
DSB 600x500 water is 25-30cm deep over dsb

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Total volume is 650l
The DSb is about 80 x 40. Depth of water will be about 10cm I guess.

Cheers

shane

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Does it make a big difference what size or surface area the dsb is and at what depth the water runs over the dsb?I understand that if the water flow is to fast there will be little or no reduction in NNR from the dsb.
Cheers

KevinW

Shrimp
Reaction score
Flow may be a bit fast but need someone with a knowledge of flow calcuations to determine what your flow works out to.

The bigger the surface area of your DSB the greater the effectiveness. The depth of water over the DSB is of interest as this also gives an indication of flow rate (pump volume through diameter of "pipe" ((width of DSB and Depth of water)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Does it make a big difference what size or surface area the dsb is and at what depth the water runs over the dsb?I understand that if the water flow is to fast there will be little or no reduction in NNR from the dsb.
Cheers

Yes size does matter, and speed as well. MY water is 15-20cm over my DSB and like I said it a nice gentle flow.

I dont think there is any formula that states Xl/ph over Xcm/2 at Xcm high

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Hi Bayls, I refer you to a thread I started last night, "Water flow speed vs level" under Pumps and Waterflow, I feel it would make a difference, remembering that we are trying to change the velocity on top of the dsb and not affecting the overall water return rate.

KevinW

Shrimp
Reaction score
Hi Bayls, I refer you to a thread I started last night, "Water flow speed vs level" under Pumps and Waterflow, I feel it would make a difference, remembering that we are trying to change the velocity on top of the dsb and not affecting the overall water return rate.
Sorry missed that thread lIghty. Very interesting.

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Thank you all guys! I will increase the depth of water over my DSB.

Cheers
(BTW, is there a link anywhere here which explains all of the commn abreviations that you experts use?)

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Not that I know of.

IMO-in my opinion
DSB-Deep sand bed
BTW- by the way.

don't stress, you'll pick it up in no time.

dendrosa

Reaction score
I believe the function and operation of a dsb is often misunderstood. A dsb does not actively absorb nitrates out of the water column, no matter how fast or slow water flows over it. A dsb is actually a catalyst , it provides the correct environment for micro fauna to inhabit and thrive, hence the importance that a dsb is made up of the correct grain size. It is this microfauna which draws uneaten food, detritus etc into the sand bed as a food source where eventually the bacteria can get to work on it. Microfauna don’t feed on nitrates so putting your dsb downstream of your skimmer is defeating the point of a dsb.

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Bayls, Read this thread as it was writen by Galibore, who has had expriance.

DSB for beginners - Galibore
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=714

Just to Quote

"Certain anaerobic bacteria will start to thrive in this low oxygen environment. These bacteria will then start to consume Nitrate present in the water column. The product of the consumption of the Nitrate is Nitrogen which is released into the air in the form of bubbles."

"You can keep an eye out for signs of too little flow. One such sign is the formation of Cyanobacteria on the DSB substrate."

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
IMicrofauna don’t feed on nitrates so putting your dsb downstream of your skimmer is defeating the point of a dsb.
Hi Dendrosa, are you saying that the DSB should be before the skimmer in a sump? Easy change for me to make.......

(it's Xmas eve and people are still on a marine forum - isn't that amazing!)