Flow in Tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by poiromaniax, 27 Oct 2009.

1. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Hi guys,

Im not really happy with the flow in my tank right now and would like some advice and input.

Its not really very good and im starting to notice some signs of cyano showing.

I want to create a high/medium flow area and a medium/low flow area

For water movement I have:

2 x Seio (2500LPH)
    1 x Hydor 3 (3500LPH)

1 x Return from Sump (2500LPH)

and a return from my refugium (the input pump is 2500LPH but by the time it gets to my tank it is nothing near that - maybe 250LPH)

Now, my current scaping is like this:

Old pic (have since added the Hydor and Refugium)

[​IMG]

I would like to change it to a two island scape with the LH island being high/medium flow and the RH island being medium/low flow.

Would i be able to put all my powerheads on the LHS glass and still achieve good random flow? any thoughts on positioning?

I thought something like this: (sorry, only have paint on this comp :banghead: - time to download sketchup )

[​IMG]

The rockwork will be placed on eggcrate to elevate off the substrate

The lower powerhead will be a Seio and will be pointed through the rocks for detritus control.

The top two i am not sure about and have thought of 3 options:
    1 - have them pointing straight down the tank
    2 - or at a small angle to bounce off the front and back panes of the tank
    3 - or blowing "across" each other and the rockwork ( corals might be in the line of fire with this one)

I also still have the return to use ( I can slide it up and down the length of my tank - the joys of flexible pipe :D )

and the 250LPH of the refuge .

Your thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i can def recomend sunsun pumps, i bought 5 from naac, the 5000L per hour ones, i will take a video of my water surface and current, its awesome, check my thread pics

4. poiromaniax

poiromaniax Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thats not really my issue, the water turbulence that i get from the Hydor basically spans the entire tank.

(I had a sunsun pump that broke when i opened it for cleaning, my brother than gave me the hydor which is MUCH more effective)

I feel that I have enough powerheads, I think that by optimizing rockwork and pump positioning, they could do so much more.

Im not planning on keeping major sps in this tank, only the hardier plating monti types.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy

I had have a much smaller tank with mainly softys and lps with alil sps but i had two sunsun 3000l/h...i removed the one and still wasnt happy i now replaced the sunsun with a smaller seio (swopped it from another reefer) the seio is 2000l/h and im much happy!!! IMO you have to move your pumps around till everything is happy maybe take some pumps out maybe add more change the direction...its very triall and error i think
    Good luck

6. poiromaniax

yes, but will I get good enough flow putting all my pumps on one side of the tank?

Mainly for aesthetic reasons.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK first off,

1) What do you understand by flow and how did you work out the original pump flow rates?

8. poiromaniax

I didnt work out the flow rates, just what it says on their boxes..

Ideally I would love to create a Gyre flow tank (but for that, I need more moolah and most likely a new tank).

So Im gonna stick with saying that I would like nice, random flow all round my tank, and limit any deadspots that could form.

Currently I only have random flow in a few areas of my tank - and just blasting flow in others while a few spots are basically dead.

I dont understand what you would like me to explain WRT to flow? Flow rates, types, etc?

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes my post was a little confusing. Sorry. I was only trying to get your understanding as to the aquarium flow requirements and why you had opted for those pumps.

Having looked at a pic of your tank and the pumps you are using i will give you my opinion.

1) Prop type pumps such as the Hydors, Saios, Tunzi's, Sun Sun etc provide good circulation in the upper part of the water column. They are best pointed towards the surface where they do two functions. a) Agitate the surface so that a very good CO2 : O2 exchange takes place. b) Provides general flow in the aquarium without causing a sand storm.

2) From the pic provided it looks like there is very little surface agitation. But then it might be my assumption from the pic shown. The pumps seem directed at the bottom part of the aquarium in an effort to keep detritus afloat.

3) In order to keep detritus afloat without causing a sand storm, I have seen a lot of different methods. All of them rely on a low volume pump on a manifold directed at dead spots around the rock work. Some times the return pump is used.

IMO in placing the pumps on one side of the tank as how your sketch shows will result in dead spots all over the tank. I take it you will be doing some re-aquascaping so take the opportunity to install a manifold to the base of the rock work or to the top of the tank where nozzles can be adjusted as required to gently remove the detritus that collect around the rocks.

So yes the pumps can be positioned to one side of the tank provided that they are circulating the upper water column and gentle flow is added to the base of the aquarium.

Well that is how i would do it. What you think?

10. poiromaniax

Thanks for the input nemo,

If possible i would like to try get away with out making a manifold, I did originally think of it, but it will cost me more moolah!

I have another pump that i can add - it is a 600LPH eheim, maybe I can put this one close to the bottom of the tank?

That FTS pic is old and was just after the SunSun broke, Neither the Hydor nor the refuge had been added yet. Surface agitation is hectic now.

Bear in mind that my tank return and refuge return do add some flow to the tank.

The refuge return helps in giving that little bit of extra flow to the mid section of the tank.

This tank has been running for a year now, I dont think that I need to get more pumps, just readjustment would do wonders...

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup. If i were you i would make an effort to get down to Idol marine tomorrow and have a chat to Calfo. He has some good ideas that maybe he will pass on to you.

12. poiromaniax

I will definately be there, so I will chat to him.

Thanks for all the advice nemo!

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

and what discussion did u com to?

14. poiromaniax

Basically, Anthony said: Dont be overly concerned about dead spots as every tank (Even public aquariums) will have some.

He said, rather try to position the powerheads/flow devices in such a way that the detritus settles in one or two spots for easy removal.

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Mate - you must JUST SEE what my 200 BAR per hour Speck pump (400 watt) return pump is doing to my tank, flow wise! WOW!

I have removed about 10 pumps/power-heads from my tank already! I am only going to have 4 x 5000 litre per hour SunSun power-heads to help with random'izing my flow - but with the Speck pump supplying water flow - WOW!

I am SUPER SUPER SUPER impressed......

Recent Posts