Flow in standard 4ft.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by aslam, 14 Feb 2008.

1. aslam

aslam

Hi guys,any idea what is the ideal flow,(how many litres an hour)for a standard 4ft tank.(55galons) I am currently turning the display about 30times an hour,which gives you pumps pumping 6000litres an hour.Cool.I currently just have 1 koran angel.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Aslam - this depends on what you want to keep, in the end.

For a FOWLR tank, with sand in it - a flow of +-15 to 20 times total tank volume, water turn-over will be perfect.

If you are planning to keep SPS, with 250 watt Metal Halides or a huge bank of T5's, and you do not have sand in the tank, then up to 85 times turn-over is acceptable....

The main idea is to have the water-flow keep detritus in suspension, that it can go down the over-flow to the sump/DSB/skimmer.

Whatever it takes to achieve this, is the "ideal flow"....

It is also advisable to have random and tubulent flow - however you achieve this (multiple power-heads pointing in different directions - wave-makers, etc.)

4. aslam

aslam Thread Starter

I have the powerheads facing each other,which makes a strong wavy effect,want to keep fish only for the time being.Thank you jaques.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No probs Aslam - I too have 2 x ReSun 15000 wavemakers pointing towards each other in my 2 metre tank. It is not 100% ideal, because I still have detritus settling on the live rock and on the sand, BUT, I am learning to build a "balanced system" where I have clean-up crew that gets rid of the detritus. My sea cucumber definitely does what he is meant to do - eat detritus! ;-)

Recent Posts