Flow from the sump to the tank...

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by ml, 1 Sep 2011.

1. ml

ml

Hi all,
    just wondering about the flow a reef tank should have from the sump to the tank.

My system is running on 3.8 times an hour and before that it was 10.3 times I am still waiting for a impeller for my one pump.

I know the total flow of a reef tank should be 10 times an hour but the net or the marine books I have says nothing about the flow from the sump to the tank.

Kind regards
    ML
    Mornè

Last edited: 3 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeann1

Jeann1

Thats a interresting question..

The rule of thumb is 10 times, that means from tank to sump and back (full cycle).

I have a 6200L/h pump on a 1200L system. with head-loss and so on of pump i recon about 5500-5800L/h. and the water runs through my sump pretty quickly.

Maybe @RiaanP can help. This has more to do with size of DSB (With, Lenght etc. )

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

It all depends on what is going on in your sump. Anything from 3 times up. Do you have a DSB or not?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

6. ml

ml Thread Starter

No DSB it doesnt work for me didnt see a imporvement.

7. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

tagging along .

8. Hermanus

Hermanus

I like it @ 4-5 times as I like to think the longer the water is in the sump the better the change everything is skimmed and the same with reactors. If it goes to fast a lot of water just pass through the sump and gets pump back with out getting filtered

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If a DSB does not work, there are one of 3 things that was not right.

1. DSB too small
    2. DSB never got time to matured
    3. Human expected wonders immediately
    Or maybe all 3.
    Actually there can be other factors, like depth of the sand, the particle size. But they are normally not the factor at fault.

11. ml

ml Thread Starter

I found that the DSB didn't work well and also I had a lot of water loss tough vapor lossige. Some where I read in 3 books DON'T mix filtration methods.

isn't the problem with a DSB the weight of the sand, my tinny chamber took like 10 kg of aragonite it was heavy as hell when it was wet. The displacement of the water is also affected by all of this sand. The more water volume the more corals and fish can grow not true? This is just my opinion on this that's all I prefer the old crunched coral with a skimmer technique myself

kind regards
    Mornè

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

not true when it comes to a DSB. For it to be effective it has to be a certain size, making it smaller wont be beneficial.

yes and no. More water means more stable parameters and greater capacity for livestock. This doesnt mean that the moment you have more water you can keep more fish, you also need to factor in what filtration you are running. Aragonite correctly used as a DSB will do more for determing stocking density than if that space was filled an extra few litres of water.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also, within the same space, the filtration capability of aragonite or playsand will be a lot more than what crushed coral can provide. Its about the total surface area provided by the medium of your choice that is available for the bacteria to live on. And smaller particles provide a lot more surface area compared to bigger particles.

Taking this to extreme, that would mean the less live rock in the display, the more fish we can have. But it is the filtration capability of the live rock, that determine the success rate of the tank.
    Other issue with crushed coral is that it trap detritus a lot easier than aragonite or playsand. Same as ceramic rings. That nice green pea soup.

14. ml

ml Thread Starter

Ok so we all agree on that.So the new thing is decently getting into the DSB thing but isn't the problem with this DSB that it is the weight of the sand that causes a threat to ones tank?

just my 2c
    Mornè

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what?

Are you talking about an in display DSB? Or in sump DSB.
    In display, yes, extra weight can be a problem for your cabinet. Also an issue with pump placements, and livestock selection.

In sump DSB? If DSB sump is supported on solid frame, and not on the cabinet own floor panel, then no problem.

16. ml

ml Thread Starter

OK then. what size must a DSB be for my tank 170 x 50 x (water level at 60.5)
    Morne

17. Keanan

Keanan 2time

As big as you can make it. Even better if you can make it the size of your display tank or bigger.

Recent Posts