Flow correct for 2foot cube?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Megalodon, 5 Feb 2008.

1. Megalodon

Megalodon

Hey guys, I have a 2 foot cube - well it's 600X600 X500(height), and have 1 seio m620 and 1 seio M820.... I'm just wondering if this flow is adequate for this size tank combined with a + - 1000LPH return pump from sump.... the tank is LPS dominated with 1 or 2 small SPS pieces and some softies, zoos etc - wanting to concentrate mainly on zoos and LPS....

I was wondering is the flow too much for the LPS, too little? or just right? :)

I have both Seios set to max flow...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. neilharris

neilharris

I would have thought that was plenty. You dont want too much flow for th elps. Beware that they are not being stressed by too much flow. Most lps like a gentle/indirect flow. Zoos ime, will survive with little to almost no flow. Again, they are not too fond of too much flow.

HTH,
    Neil

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Megalodon - for LPS/softies the flow should be more than ample. BUT, for those SPS corals you have, it might be far too little.

BUT, the flow in a marine tank is not only about the corals, you know. It is also about "keeping detritus suspended" that it does not settle and start leaching phosphates/nitrates and other nasties into the tank.....

It is also about WHERE the power-heads are placed. For example one should try and have decent flow BEHIND and below your live rock as well..... This is quite often where detritus settles and "hides away".....

5. lIghty

lIghty

no expert, could be a bit on the high side, but if its not blowing corals around should be ok then. but rather wait for the pro's to answers.

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Your tank volume is 180 litres, the pumps are 2400lt/h and 3200lt/h respectively so that gives you a turnover of 31 times tank volume, not including the return pump.

I would say ok, but as you can see the tank and its' inhabitants, do they look happy or do they look too blown around?

7. Megalodon

Megalodon Thread Starter

They look pretty happy and are all growing fast.... I can always vary the m820 down a little if I see them not extending well (had it on min for a while).... the SPS are Orange Montipora Digitata frags (I think), and are healthy and growing FAST!!
    I just wanted to add to the flow to make sure the detritus is suspended so I upped the flow on the M820.....

I have the seios positioned so that they are facing the front of the tank at angles so their flow intersects about the middle of the tank... the return pump comes out through 2 special nano system type flexi arms that I have positioned to flow in the opposite direction towards the seios so that they make the flow more random and disturbed... thanks for the help guys I think the flow should be good.... was just making 99.9% sure

Recent Posts