1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

Didn't know where else to put this thread. So I use filter floss in chamber number 1 of my sump. This is the chamber that the over flow flows into and where my active carbon, phos remover and brightwell nitrat-R is in. In this same chamber I have as much LR as I can possibly fit in. The problem I have is the floss goes brown very quickly and I travel alot (right now in the US). I have been struggling with nitrates since day one sitting between 10ppm to 25ppm.

Questions:

1. Do in really need the floss?
    2. If I remove the floss and leave it as just the media (Carbon, Phos ,Nitrate) with the live rock, second chamber the skimmer and heaters and the third chamber the return pump and some more live rock. Will that work?

I think the filter floss might just be becoming the nitrate trap I can't het rid of. I don't feed a lot, I have a good stocking of fish and coral, even have a good stocking of clams which should theoretically love nitrates ....

Would like to hear what you guys think.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@mytank

where is your skimmer situated? ideally remove the floss and add a filter sock (not necessary but it will help) and then have biological and chemical filtration placed in that sequence after the skimmer..

this will allow the skimmer to take up the majority of the dissolved organics and stop the latter 2 forms of filtration from clogging up quickly, thus improving their effieciency..

perhaps direct me to or post a pic of te filtration in question.. and we can have a good look and see what advice can be offered...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Mc

Mc

As I see it the floss is there mainly to keep your water looking clean, so I would say take it out see how the water looks, and see if the nitrates drop, and take it from there.
    I like the idea about the filter sock, any idea where to get these?
    If i remember correctly you have a boyu 550, I also have one of these tanks, and have filter floss in chamber 1, and chamber 3 (to stop the bubbles getting into the display tank). I change the piece in chamber 1 twice a week, and the piece in chamber 3 once a week.
    You say you have alot of live rock in the back, I have heard this can also cause nitrates if there isn't enough flow over it, and I dont think live rock is very effective in removing nitrates. Have you ever considered putting something like cheato in the back I did this, and it really helps me keep the nitrates down, you just need to put a light in the back.
    10-25ppm is really not that high unless you have sps.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

one can replace the floss with a filter sock, but both floss and filter sock would need to be cleaned every 2-4days as they are mechanical filtration, you can remove these but then you might find a build up of dirt in the sump and on liverock

6. Mc

Mc

Any idea where to find filter socks?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

wild on pets

8. Mc

Mc

Thanks dallasg will check it out when im there again, its a great shop.:thumbup:

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Ill remove the live rock. In a boyu there is not enough flow inside the chambers to stop the live rock from collecting detritus. Rather invest in some po4,no3, removers . It will be so much more efficiant than the live rock. If you have a sump,sure,then lr works well. But you have alot more flow which keeps detritus from settling on the lr. If you travel alot,maybe its a good idea to remove the floss,unless you can rinse or replace it at least twice a week.Otherwise it will definitely increase your nitrates. If you want to keep the lr,Ill add an additional pump in the last chamber to return water to the 1st chamber.That way you might be able to keep less detritus from settling on the live rock.But I would still rather put it in your dt. just my 2c:thumbup:

10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Hey nope I have a custom built cube :) I am starting to think guys just removing the live rock all together and making my sump just return skimmer and phos, nitrate remover + carbon. What do you guys think about that?

I keep the live rock there because I thought on MUST have LR in the sump.

Come to think of it what I remember of the sump there was a lot of fine brown "dust" over the LR and in the sump.

11. Mc

Mc

I think thats a good idea just remove it slowly, not all at the same time.
    Hope that it works out.

Recent Posts