Flood lights used as MH for DT?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pugsly, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hi all,

Just wondering - can a person buy a flood light from say builders to use in ones DT? If you get the correct globes from a LFS?

If not, why can't you?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

Hi Pugsly

You need a ballast and electronic stater and a capacitor the holder in 500w halogen that you get from builders should be the same as the 250w MH globe so it should work. supply power to the a above and then to the lamp it should work.

Thats what i am going to do so i hope it works

4. Sentari

Sentari

Just remember you will need a ballast to start the bulb!

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

And an ignitor.

6. Tony

Tony

A problem with floodlights is that the reflectors concentrate the beams so there isn't a broad spread of light which could be a problem in a very broad tank

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AND: Usually, the "floodlights" found at Builder's et al - are halogen globes - not metal halide globes (you do get SOME metal halide units - but very few and far between).....

Halogen globes emit a yellow white light - with the Kelvin rating at around 4000K.....
    YES - you can indeed use them - but you will need a HUGE amount of blue/actinic light to counter act the yellow look of the tank's water........

8. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

hmmm sounds like it would be best to get the right thing then.

The LFS just push the prices so high because they are in demand and found to be a luxury item to us reefers. I bet most stores have at least a 80% - 150% mark up on the stuff - and with marines could even go to 200% markup! It's really pathetic! They are killing the marine market.:banghead:

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

......... errrr....and all the rest, it is madness !!

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Craziness.

Look at the new members that joined this week from Honk Kong.
    He actually have his own LFS (well not very local for us)
    New member from HongKong - New Members
    Anyway on page 8 he got a link to his site, and it is all in Chinese but pictures are only in one language.

Here is the kicker

名牌CORALUX [OEM export ]
    [​IMG] 70W 20000K $120

Current Honk Kong Dollar to South African Rand is 1: 0.949877 ZAR to be precise
    So this globe is R113.99

Other "EXPENSIVE" globes
    [​IMG]150W 20000K $120
    [​IMG]150W 30000K $120
    [​IMG] [​IMG]250W 30000K $180

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yes Pugsly - agreed... Firstly I would also go with JB on this one. The floodlights do emit a high amount of yellow light... I also dont think it has such high Lumen as MH - I could be wrong though... But you still have some possibility to look directly into a normal floodlight, but dry this with MH!!! Arc eyes will follow...

On MH pricing though from LFS stores: Yes, they do overcharge... I you had to buy a 150W Geisemann MH from the US / UK, you'd only pay about R750 - R800 for it - here you pay around R1200 for the same thing.

You can however, buy MH bulbs from other stores directly - the the cost you around R400 - R700. BUT... I have querried from Geisemann what makes their MH so expensive...

The answer I got from them is that firstly, it is a dimmible bulb - or at least a dimmable gear unit... Then they say, that they make absolutely certain that the right amount of phosphor us used in the bulb, to meet the exact Kalvin rating stated. They say that the cheaper manufactures gets this wrong way too often - that is why if you buy tow of the exact bulbs, one is whiter / bluer than the other...

Tiger is a VERY good example of this - his MH unit states on the bulb, that the MH's are 20000K - but the light is more around 10000K!!!!

So presonally, that is why I go for Geisemann. It DOES cost a lot, but to me it is worth it... ;) And looking at overseas prices, they seem to be expensive everywhere.

12. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Riaan - exactly what I am saying here!!! I have checking overseas prices (Germany, USA, UK etc) and they are a hell of allot cheaper than the LFS - even freaking cape town pet stores are cheaper than here GP!!! Can anyone explain this to me!!!!

Even if you take the current exchange rates and the shipping costs it still works out cheaper than these guys!

13. davidfr7

davidfr7

there is a make of bulb called nepturian how do you guys rate them

Recent Posts