Floating Shelves

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by wito-zn, 8 Feb 2010.

1. wito-zn

wito-zn

I Know this isn't about fish but i cant find something that can tell me how to build a floating shelf that will be strong enough to hold books.

I want to put them in my study and also want to build a desk that is attached to the wall almost a floating desk.

So all the DIY people please help me.

Thanks
    Steve

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Im not sure I understand you 100% right but I would have covered polystyrene with fibreglass. It will be strong and if you get resin suitable for use in water it should almost last forever.

4. wito-zn

wito-zn Thread Starter

Thanks Herkie, But i was talking about floating shelves that go on the wall. There is no brackets.:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Like that in the pic. But i cant find a design that will be strong enough to hold books.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

What you can do is drill holes in the side of the wood as far in as possible. Then put a metal rod inside it. Drill a dole (at least 100mm) into the wall and slide the rod into the holes. Easy peasy. The difficult part is the get the hole in the wood to be straight. This can be done if you have a big drill press or knows of someone that does. Clamp the wood upright and just drill it quite deep. For a bookshelf you wont need more than a 300mm shelf. so 150mm into the wood will work. To be extra safe I would space the rods about 350mm apart.

6. neo

neo

I have done it as marius said, I used 32mm thick supawood with 16mm threaded rods, stained and sealed with wooddoc, the shelf was 250mm with a 150mm deep hole, and approx 120mm deep hole in wall, I used RockSet to anchor the rod in the wall. The hole in the supawood is also 16mm so it is a tight fit with no glue, I did this in case I have to remove it.
    My youngest climbed onto it at one stage with no damage, he was
    about 18kg at that point.

7. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

LOL-Clever me! I should win a prize for that one before I get 100 years old.:thumbup:

Recent Posts