Floating Metal Halides

Reaction score
I really hate the lights which hang from the steel cables over the tank.The other option is to have what looks like a coffen boxed in over the tank.No way.So I have been building floating shelves to hold my light fittings.

PICT0424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the MDF board cut to size by a local board shop.

PICT0407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Next step use router to cut a 8 mm groove around the bottom edge to hold the aluminium bottom .It`s like you are building a cuboard draw.
PICT0410.jpg

Nice work, although I don't quite understand what you mean by "floating shelves". Are they mounted to the wall?

Yip Viper I would guess so. Good work Zookeeper, now all you need is a bit of trunking to hide the wires...

Sims the wires bug me I was thinking I could glue them to the wall with a glue gun and then paint them the colour of the wall.Viper they are floating shelves because there are no visable brackets.

Last edited:
Zookeeper if I may suggest you rather use trunking as I tried the glue gun and paint trick on my speaker wires and it was a real pain when I had to take a wire off as you have to go through the same thing every time. Rather use the trunking and stick that down with the glue gun and then paint it. Then if you ever need to remove it you an without any other touch up needed. If you do use trunking just paint the top and bottom part seperatly as if you paint when close it tends to crack the paint when you open it... HTH

Back
Top Bottom