Float switches

Discussion in '► Sponsor Request Forum' started by chikaboo, 31 Dec 2011.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK .. in light of my most recent disaster I'm looking for about 10 of these float switches .... What I need to know is ... Do you get like a float switch with double contacts ... as in making contact when water level is high or low or will I require 2 switches to do this .... And are these normally open or normally closed contacts ... I'm thinking to connect these switches to alert me when water levels are too high (indicating a blockage in the overflow) or too low (telling me there is a freakin bloody leak) ... I will have these connected to my SMS module so that I'm informed at the earliest and try to avert me committing suicide:( ... So plz can I have some quotes on these switches ...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zak

zak

You can usually set the float switch to operate normally opened or normally closed by flipping the float around. I paid around R50 for mine from RS Components..

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup RS has a lot or interesting goodies.

Think about a leak detector.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Shot Thanx guys .... Got a Link fora website or can someone PM me a phone number ... much appreciated .....
    OK ... never mind ... found it ... but besides the N/O contacts is there a difference beteween Buy Level Sensors & Switches Vertical float switch 140 VAC N/O RS PLS-041A-3 online from RS for next day delivery. and Buy Level Sensors & Switches Miniature 140 VAC vertical float switch RS PLS-031A-3 online from RS for next day delivery. ... I can just buy the 1 type and turn it upside down like zak said to reverse the contacts ....

Last edited: 1 Jan 2012
  6. zak

zak

The electrical spec looks identical on both, the shaft size is different. What that probably does is provide a more gradual on/off transition. Also bear in mind that the switch can handle 140V AC maximum, so you can't directly drive a pump from it. I used the PLS-031A-3, Its pretty tiny and I found a neat way of mounting it. I was able to reverse the operational mode on the 031A-3..

7. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Well not wanting to drive any pump .... Mainly need it as a "contact" to trigger inputs on sms module so looking to use it as a "dry contact" to trigger the input as "open circuit" when the levels go out of whack ....

8. erratiC

erratiC

Gents, I would just like to give a big thumbs up for posting the RS Components link - my ATO float just fcked out 2 days ago but I got them from Marco who has decided not to sell them anymore so I was stressing a bit looking for a replacement .

Shot!

:thumbup:

9. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Strange ... Let me return the thanx then bud coz was going to phone Marco to get some from him but you saved me phone call .......

Recent Posts