hi all
just wondering where i might find float switches around gauteng area
phoned irrigation shops but i think they only do big ones for boreholes
any help would be app..

many thanks

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mek, I think Gig is talking about the float switch only. They sell for less than R100 at electrical places.

Gig, after DIY'ing mine and seeing what is available. If I could do it over, I would get the all in one jobbies that I suspect Mekaeel is talking about. They usually come with controller, pump, plumbing and and everything you need in a neat unit. But of course you pay for it.

Reaction score
gig I've got 2 float switches that i wanted to use but never got round it. pm me your number and i'll send you a picture tonight so you can see if you interested

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If you only gonna use one, then Viper was also looking for one a while back.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Galibore, yeah, MyKey, if you have one left over I will gladly buy it from you.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just another FYI: I found 12 Volt float switches (separate and complete units) at a boating shop here in Cape Town.... Sure that there must be boating shops all around the country? Right? I know - being 12 V - one would have to use an inverter as well....
BTW: the complete pump/float-switch units here at the boating shop went for R360.
(Must still buy one).

Rod

Reaction score
Just another FYI: I found 12 Volt float switches (separate and complete units) at a boating shop here in Cape Town.... Sure that there must be boating shops all around the country? Right? I know - being 12 V - one would have to use an inverter as well....
BTW: the complete pump/float-switch units here at the boating shop went for R360.
(Must still buy one).
Why not use a relay?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Jacques is it the same type of float switch thats on the SAGA units?
Hi Mekaeel. I must apologize - I have no idea what the SAGA units are. BUT, there are different float-switches - one is a square float, connected on the one-side in a pivotal manner to the electronic sender unit, and when the float moves up, it switches either off or on (and moving downwards switches the opposite - this will most likely depend on how you connect it).... The other type of float-switch is "built-in" - i.e. a round float moving on a shaft where the shaft either closes the switch at the top of the unit, or opens the switch....

Rod - can you please elaborate on your entry: "why don't you use a relay"??

Many thanks.