Flippie (The Domino Damsel)

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by CocaColaza, 6 Jul 2012.

1. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Ok so quite a while back I got a Domino Damsel for my Nano. I knew that Damsels where quite aggresive but I didn't know that Domino's are almost the worst damsel when it comes to aggression.

Never planned to have lots of fish in the Nano as it was planned to be more of a Coral Tank. The other fish in my tank is a Sand sifting Goby (Andy). [ps its the wife that names them :D] Anyway so Flippy and Andy get along just fine have never seen the Damsel attack Andy.

Anyway skip forward a few months later. I am not upgrading to a huge tank and from what ive read Flippy is going to cause havoc once i get other fish or once he grows up. I don't want to get rid of flippy so I'd almost much rather keep no other fish than give him back to a shop or sell him.

Has anybody kept them successfully with any other fish? Will he attack larger fish like Tangs as well?

As previously stated right now butter can melt in his mouth but from what I've read they say they get more aggressive as they age.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reefhead

Reefhead

When he is full grown you can keep him in a full blown predator tank and the stingray will be scared of him
    The lionfish wont eat him in fear of him ripping his way out of his stomch and eating the lionfish from the inside out

4. Reefhead

Reefhead

The Eel will one night go for him and the damsel will turn around and rip out all his teeth, leaving the eel with no choice but to suck his lance fish for the rest of his life

5. Nur

Nur Starz

lobimp... hahahahhahaha

6. shaunn

shaunn

good one :p

7. crispin

crispin

domino's in a reef tank are problomatic after a while. Yours is alreday quite big (from what i saw:)) and he will set up a territory from which he will harass other fish. Its just a given and can cause immence heart ache later on. Big fish like some tangs will be fine, but almost any other fish you might want to introduce (clowns, wrasses, chromis, anthias etc etc) will most likely be difficult. if he's happy in the nano then run two tanks and leave him there:)

8. CocaColaza

CocaColaza Thread Starter

Was thinking of doing exactly that... but i wanted to Quarantine fish in the nano and i'm concerned that other fish will make him ill and that he will stress out the QT fish.

9. shaunn

shaunn

or nip them :tt2:

10. crispin

crispin

u wont be able to have a damsel in a quarenteen set up, the two are mutually exclusive. to have a domino in a quarenteen system and then introduce a new fish whioch is possibly weak from shipping and being in the lfs will most likely lead to the damsel killing it. a quarenteen system is agreat investment, but idealy should be bigger than a nano if possible

11. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Dont worry, flippy will make sure it stays like that:whistling:
    They are so cute when small, but man do they turn out into mean MOFOs.

Keep him long enough and you will be scheming all sort of delightful ways of skewering him. They are relentless in their attacks on new fish one tries to add to the tank. Nothing like watching your recent aquisition go up in a puff of scales.

Diving a few months ago, I came across a shoal of small juvis, I was so tempted to catch them, then I remembered my last experience with one, many years back. Oh boy, I just swam on by.

12. CocaColaza

Damn, so not good.. might keep him in the nano and see what I can do to get a QT later on. I can't give him away one of the justifications to the wife unit to get the bigger tank was to give Andy and Flippy a bigger home :D

13. crispin

crispin

you see, even full grown humans are scared of them!

14. CocaColaza

I can see the Headline now. 4cm fish nips diver to death off the coast of South Africa after a brutal 5 hour long attack.

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Just out of intrest and without going to surf the Web...:p...would the aggression be less if he is the last fish introduced...or...more than likely, what I'm guessing...it doesn't matter and he is still the most aggro Damsel around or else everyone would state to "introduce them last"...:p

16. CocaColaza

[​IMG]

17. CocaColaza

Yeah did read up on that and apparently they don't care whether they are last or first. They take an area of the tank as theirs and attack anything that moves when it comes into that area.

18. NickW

NickW

I must ask the same question, what if the other fish establishedd their dominance/ territory first, and then later add the damsel, would the damsel not be better off then? or should i say would the other fish not be better off? :)

19. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:005:..:005:..that sounds like my Clowns...can't stand Hubby hands in the Tank..:p..nips the hand and fingers time and time again..:p

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

There is something you could do with him, hang on, I've got a pic somewhere.

21. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Here's one idea you could do, turn your nano into a species specific tank, put a 150w MH over it, buy a couple more domino damsels and an LTA anemone and you could have something like this, really cool in my opinion. Domino damsels are hosted by LTA anemones, just like clownfish are, check this pic. :)

[​IMG]

Recent Posts