flatworms

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kunhardt, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

It appears I have a flatworm problem in my tank :(

Noticed one a little while back on my Fox Coral, but since its a similar colour to the Fox i thought it was just a pigment abnormality and thought nothing of it, but yesterday noticed a few more on it and then started checking my other corals an found the same things on my mushrooms.

Leslie suggested it may be flatworms this morning when I spoke to him, so when I got home I inspected closer and they are indeed flatworms.

So now, what is the solution to this problem? I have ehard fresh water dips...not something I really want to try, scared of losing the corals, also read some wrasses like the 6 line and Bipartitus eat them as well as certain Mandarins. I take it my std mandarin is not the right type else he would eat them? Although I am infact a fan of both the above mentioned wrasses I am not sure its a good idea to put one in my tank with me having a Mandarin and a CBB, the Wrasse I am sure will out compete them for food and I would hate them to starve.

I have read Salifert has a product Flatworm Exit, do we get it in SA, does it work, and is it a route to actually think of using to erradicate this pest?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I've had flatworms in my tanks for years and they have never become a nuisance. They're herbivores, so only negatively effect the coral if they steal too much of it's light. They can be easily syphoned off the infested coral. None of my wrasses seem to eat them, but who knows for sure?

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Broder, ya Leslie just said the same thing to me, so if you guys have had them and not been an issue I wont worry too much about it for now. The next time I do a water change I will try and syphon them off the mushrooms, the Fox I think is too delicate for that unfortunately :( but at least it will get rid of some of them.

Thing that worries me is I read that if they get too many, they can just spontaneously die and being toxic can kill your fish...not sure how many you need in the system for them to die and be leathal though.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've had a few in my tank, they seem to come and go and don't cause much harm, they can however get to plague proportions if not kept in check, not too sure how they are controlled though.

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well bought a 6 Line Wrasse yesterday to deal with them, apparently they are tops when it comes to flat worm removal. The flatowrms have moved from my unimportant corals like mushrooms to my Alveopora and Ricordias so have to take some action.

One thing I can say about the 6-line, ppl go on about how aggro they are...well you have to be quite a weenie I think to be beaten up by a Chromis :p

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

lol, great little fish though, pretty sure he'll keep them under control. Let us know if you see him eating them.

8. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I've got my flatworms under control by using Blue Life flatworm control and by increasing overall tank flow - seems they need low flow areas to lay eggs and if you take them away you win the war . . . . And don't get worried about the poison scare when using the flatworm exit, it didn't even touch my pods

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Yip, I have always been a fan of the so wasn't too worried about putting one in my tank. I will keep you posted as to whether it does in fact eat the flat worms or just continues to get bullied by my Chromis! ;)

Whats Blue Life flatworm control and where would I get such a product? Yes they are indeed in my lower flow areas, alas I cant up the flow there as these are where my low flow corals are situated such as the Alveopora and my Fox. :(

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

in years gone past we thought the same horror stories of bristle worms and the like to find that as all things they are necessary.. they are the result of an imbalance of some sort either the lack of a predator (which you have now added) or a result of excess waste which they have now multipied to assist in removing in one way or another..

i have always believed that so long as they dont get out of hand they are (as all critters are) beneficial.

im aso very against nuking anything in the system as we do not "FULLY" know its down the line effects as each system is as induvidual as the person administering the husbandry for it..

11. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I had to buy the flatworm control through ebay, nobody locally stocked it for some wierd reason.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy

Yoh mark has the six line eaten any falt worms yet?
    Any reduction in flattys?

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

not really from the 6 line, took out the more infected corals and manual removed as much as possible. U got problems too?

14. shrimpman

shrimpman

Flatworms it,s what you are unable to see.I had them in my tank and i could not get rid of them so i used flatworm exit, five seconds after dosing my tank they were dead, there were thousands of them under the rocks not on them.It does work. shrimpman.

15. colbar

colbar

Shrimpmam, after you dosed the Flatworm Exit, did you siphon out all the dead flatworm, as that's where I believe the problem arises. They apparently release some toxin when they die.

16. shrimpman

shrimpman

Flatworms to many.

COLBAR How i did it, i siphoned off all i could see, water ready to do a water change carbon in my canister ready to turn on.Skimmer off all other filters off.I put the flatworm exit in my tank and waited you don,t have to wait long.I was shocked to see how many flatworms there were to many to siphon out,thousands and thousands of them,under the rocks not on them,so i turned on my filters and let them take them out,skimmer just boiled over so i left it turned off for a while.I did not lose any of my stock maybe it was just luck.No more flatworms. shrimpman.

17. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

mmm.....interesting! now to find flatworm exit in E.L!

18. shrimpman

shrimpman

Flatworm Exit.

I have been going to my local lfs for over twenty years and they could not get hold to any flatworm exit,they are not allowed to sell it.So i had mine over the internet it,s the only place you can buy it. best of luck shrimpman.

19. Prodigy

Prodigy

Hey mark yea i have some ay
    I got six line as well ntn happening yet and all i do is when i see them i siphon them off during a wc by using small fish pipe and a stocking hahaha works well...:p

Recent Posts