Flatworms

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ml, 18 Oct 2009.

1. ml

ml

Hi all

I really need some advise of help form you guys because I tried my one and it's not working it's only improving looks for 1-2 days and then the flatworms are back :(:(:(. CAN ANYONE HELP ME

Thanks

Mornè

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Getting rid of flat worms in your reef aquarium can be pretty difficult.

Siphon out all the flat worms as you can. You can siphon them out by taking a power head and attaching vinyl tubing to the ends. Attach a fine mesh bag to the output. That way, you can suck up the flatworms, they get trapped in the bag, and the water exits back into your tank.

Prepare enough salt water ahead of time to cover at least a 20% water change.

Hook up a canister filter filled with granulated activated carbon or another place in your tank where large amounts of water will flow through

Add Salifert according to the instructions, about one drop per gallon. The Salifert will only kill the flatworms, but when the flatworms die they release a toxin that will kill fish and invertebrates.

Siphon dead flatworms out and pray that your fish live.

• When adding new livestock to their tank, always doing a Flatworm eXit dip for 15 minutes prior to adding the coral
    • Please note, this is a very big decision. You could up to lose 20% or more of your livestock. It is a decision you will have to make. Do you want to live with the flatworms, which will slowly smother your corals and sand beds or risk losing a good quantity of livestock one time.
    Hope this will help...

4. ml

ml Thread Starter

a littel now where do I get Some FLATWORM EXIT ?!

morne

5. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Good luck dude that is not going to be an easy one.:(

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Perhaps the fix is in solving the reason they are present. I dont know the answer. However they are there because there is an abundance of food and a lack of predation.

Don't use quick fixes, the FW will return. Rather look at the situation as a challenge to find out what it's natural predators are and control naturally.

Rather go this route before the chemical one. It makes success so much more rewarding.

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Nemos is correct dont just go for a quick fix...

They feed on small foods like rotifers, phytoplankton

Six Line Wrasses, Leopard Wrasses, Target Mandarins and even Blue Damsels reportedly eat these flatworms, as does one Nudibranch (Chelidonura varians), but some have opted for a different approach when these methods prove ineffective.

Flatworm eXit, a poison that only affects flatworms and is reef-safe. Let me add the qualifier that if your tank is heavily infested, Flatworm eXit will not be the cause if you lose livestock. The issue is that if many flatworms die at once, their toxins reach lethal levels quickly and this, not the product, can lead to deaths in your tank.

8. IMarine

IMarine

Hi bra i can get you salifit exit pm i will get you a price and well said Riyad

9. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

There is a wrasse call Bipartitus the spelling I am not sure of but the common name is Divided wrasse they are by far the best predator for this pest and reef safe as well as a good looking fish. I know the guys in Boksburg had quiet a few of them on friday.....

All the best to solving the outbreak
    [​IMG]

10. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Dude, as I said before, I have a brand new bottle ordered by mistake and it's available if you want. What I found worked was treating the tank and then increasing flow, and they haven't come back for months now!

11. ml

ml Thread Starter

Thanks eric but I don't have the money at the moment. would rather go for a natuaral way but last opertunity must be FLATWORM EXIT

12. ml

ml Thread Starter

Solution to this is to suck them up and try to take them all out. I used stockings and them sucked as much as I can up. This took a while but the issue was resolved.

Sorry for only posting this now. Good this helps future flatworm problems members to the hobby my encounter

13. fahiem

fahiem

hi ml so you did not use fw exit at all?just syphoned the flatworms out?

14. ml

ml Thread Starter

See comments on top in red.

Ohhh you ment flatworm exit. No not at all. Wanted to try that as a last result. Did add two banana wrasses and a six line wrasse but didn't see if they munched on them.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2014
Recent Posts