Flatworms?, I've got the solution

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Voidrunner, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Voidrunner

Voidrunner

Hi guys,
    Being new and totally ignorant I for the first time bought something I did not research, it was just such an amazing creature. Researching it after buying it I realized that I cannot care for this critter. It is apparently the best solution to get rid of flatworms. I bought a blue velvet slug - Chelidonura varians, and I have no flatworm infestation that is needed to keep him alive. It's one of the weirdest things I've seen. I would not be able to ship it, so if anyone with a flatworm problem want to buy it from me on the east rand, then please come and get it. Do you guys think I can take it back to the LFS that sold it to me?

Alternatively, where can I get flatworms, this slug is amazingly interesting.
    I've read a lot of forums, so please don't preach to me, at least I'm trying to get this critter a better home. LFS's should not sell these creatures without warning people about their special food sources, yes I know...research anything before buying.... I will not make the mistake again.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Helga

Helga

Voidrunner, I have a flatworm problem in my tank. Have even bought a sixline wrasse to try and eliminate them. Guess what, he does not consider them as part of his diet :(.
    Obviously I would want to get rid of these pests, but what worries me is what do I do with this creature when his done his job. I want to do some more research about its needs before I make a decision!

4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Use the new product from Zeovit, Flatworm Exit excellent product. speak to nathan

5. Voidrunner

Voidrunner Thread Starter

Helga, flatworms is the only food source for these critters, how my lfs got them is a mystery, cause I see they sell for quite a bit on the international market and they are quite rare. As for when your flatworm problem are over, why not make this a "pay it forward" creature and let it loose on any friend's flatworm problem.
    It looks like this - http://www.google.co.za/imgres?q=blue+velvet+slug&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=894&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=h_GRSSWxzvf8_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dindex%26cPath%3D31_46&docid=ifZnWcs645XHAM&imgurl=http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/images/Chelidonura_varians.jpg&w=452&h=581&ei=UpBjT7w2jZeFB_30tJ4I&zoom=1

6. Helga

Helga

I'm reading up on them and it seems they are quite popular in the USA. And yes, they definitely only eat flatworm. What I can make out on the websites, is that they dont live much longer than 3 months in captivity. Even with a diet of flatworms.

Where did you buy him (which LFS shop). And how long has it been in your tank. It must be starving by now!!

Yeah, I was also thinking it could work to pass it on to whomever has a problem. It would be such a shame to have it starve in your tank. What concerns me is if they are anything like the SEAHARE (also a slug, but it eats Green Hair Algae), it could pose a massive threat to the other inhabitants of your tank when it dies. It gives off toxins when it dies and poisons the tank.

Will let you know if I get more info

7. Voidrunner

Hi Helga, I bought it from Exotic aquaruims in boksburg, today, so it's pretty healthy, I drip acclimated it for 2 hours, and it seems happy...moving all over my LR..... As far as I've read it will only release toxins if a fish bites it. It apparently just fades away if it does not get food. These are very fragile creatures....you cannot touch it, I made a little dam around it with my hands when I transferred it to my main tank.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

I was just going to mention that!

9. Voidrunner

I've set my wavemakers to the lowest night setting, as according to forums, these critters are in shallow waters that do not move a lot, It really is an impressive thing, it would jump into the inlet return flow and look like an alien flying away, until it gets to another piece of LR. I would've loved to keep it. It's a stunningly beautiful thing that looks like a tron-batmobile of sorts...lol....funny I just witnessed it eating some copepods stuck to my glass.

10. Helga

Helga

I did buy the Zeovit (FlatwormStop) from Nathan, thinking it would help for the "Planaria Flatworm". Only noticed when I got home that it specifically states it helps to irradicate "Acropora Eating Flat Worm" on SPS corals. (which I dont have).
    :(

11. Voidrunner

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2012
  12. Helga

Helga

Hi Voidrunner,
    Did you get someone to take the Slug off your hands? I would be interested to take it and pass it on to the next guy if the need arises? (Have been away for a week or so, so did not follow this thread after my previous inquiry):blush:

13. rakabos

rakabos

Flatworm Exit people - no brainer, it works

14. Voidrunner

The slug is already sold.

15. student

student

@Helga
    I know they are hit and miss as well, but my mandarin cleaned up all my flatworm and I had a lot!
    Just another possible solution

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Helga

Helga

Rakabos,
    Is it Flatworm Exit from Salifert you're talking about?

I bought FlatwormStop from Korallen-zucht.de (without doing my homework first) - which I understand is also an excellent product. The only problem is I dont have the Acropora flesh Eating Flatworm. And this product is exlusively for the flesh eathing flatworm.

I have up to now been very reluctant to add chemicals to my tank to solve problems. Would rather try going "au natural" if I still can. Maybe a mandarin would do the job. I bought a sixline wrasse to do this job, but his obviously failing hopelessly... his diet consists of everything except flatworm. His so fat now (no more sixline... more like one BIG line).

I'll try a Mandarin. Have more than enough pods for him to feed on.

17. rakabos

rakabos

I would be more hesitant to try predation over a proven method even if it involves chemicals. I had some flatworms long ago. They were fairly benign and just hanging out on my zoas and palys. I added some FWE and they were gone the next day.

I had a yellow and six line wrasse at the time who didnt seem interested in them at all.

FWE is completely reef safe in my experience.

Recent Posts