Flappy`s New Starphire 2500l Project

Thanks for all the feedback guys,I had the sump built yesterday,its a beauty 2.4 0.6 by 0.6 (I will post pics soon)
I also had the side top struts installed yesterday,the overflow box is going in on Thursday....pics will follow...

So I have spoken to the Welder that did the stand and he has informed me that the adjustable feet were purchased from an engineering company.These feet are used in the agricultural sector to raise heavy farming equipment.They are rated to handle over a ton of weight each.He will get me the specifications in writing for this.
They are also galvanised and thus should not rust as I wont be having the sump under the tank but a remote sump.
So as I have 6 of these feet am I correct in saying the stand should hold 6 tons?
Prehaps I can put a piece of wood under the feet to spread the load more on the tiles?
The big question now is do I move the tank and redo the stand or go with what I have...perhaps some of the fundies can advise....

Hi, im no expert but found this interesting as i also have the same footplates with self aligning and adjust-ability fitted to my newly build stand. I had an engineer do structural anaylsis on the complete stand and transfer of the load to the ground. I wanted a stand that didnt bend nor sway at all and he designed me a stand that had 0 deflection and sway in any direction when two waveboxes are connected and ofcourse to carry the weight of the tank and contents. My tank is 1.5x0.8x0.7....roughly 1000kg with all included.

My point is that the feet is industrial and can take a load of 500kg per foot(80mm diameter foot plate) and 600kg per foot plate(100mm diameter foot plate):)
The specs can be found here:
http://www.gmt.gb.com/products/leveling-feet/PDFs/leveling-feet-catalogue.pdf

Supplier:
Air Suspensions, Engine Mounts, Cab Mounts, Shock Mounts — Product Index

This is my tank stand feet, i need to know from Nemo J if this is really the same feet that has given you problems before because although the specs says its OKAY, im also a little concerned because its never been used anywhere else that i can recall.

6374c6f7fa7cf054.jpg

6374c6f7fbdf2795.jpg

Last edited:
This is my tank stand feet, i need to know from Nemo J if this is really the same feet that has given you problems before because although the specs says its OKAY, im also a little concerned because its never been used anywhere else that i can recall.

I have not seen or used those feet. They may well be OK considering each leg will only carry about 350kg. My main issue is the 350kg load concentrated a very small area on the floor/tile.

Just make sure that the bolt is SS or Galvanised and that the foot is not plastic. The plastic ones tend to crack after a while.

I have not seen or used those feet. They may well be OK considering each leg will only carry about 350kg. My main issue is the 350kg load concentrated a very small area on the floor/tile.

Just make sure that the bolt is SS or Galvanised and that the foot is not plastic. The plastic ones tend to crack after a while.

Yes, a poorly tiled area will possibly crack at the point load due to insufficient paste below the tile...that hollow sound that you get when you tap on the tile.

Thanx NemosJ for the input

The main issue here is the point load that the stand will place on your floor. In other words your stand may be correctly engineered but the floor (made up of the tiles, the concrete surface bed, the filling below the concrete, etc, is probably not engineered to carry the point load that the stand will deliver. The easiest way of getting around this is (as others have pointed out) is to spread the point load across a floor beam (steel runner under the legs).

Ok,we have been very busy modifying the stand while not moving the tank off the stand!!
We have changed the base of the stand and taken the legs away....so now the load is evenly spread and not concentratred at each leg,pics to follow.
The back of the tank has been painted black,the over flow box fitted.
One more coat of black paint and a general clean up and the tank is complete...dont worry I will be posting pics

Ok,we have been very busy modifying the stand while not moving the tank off the stand!!
We have changed the base of the stand and taken the legs away....so now the load is evenly spread and not concentratred at each leg,pics to follow.
The back of the tank has been painted black,the over flow box fitted.
One more coat of black paint and a general clean up and the tank is complete...dont worry I will be posting pics

Awsome Steven its a pitty you had to spend the extra time and effort to mod the stand but Im sure you would have it that way over a few months down the line.
Looking forward to the pics

Trev

Here is a list of the fish I currently have that will be going into the new system.
Please remember lots of live rock and caves....

Sargassum Trigger
Regal Tang
Lipstick Tang with streamers
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Gem Tang
Achilles Tang
Chevron Tang
Sailfin Tang
Clown Tang
Sohal Tang
Powder Blue Surgeon
Tennenti Tang
Maculiceps Tang
Potters Angel
Flame Angel
Blue Face ANgel
Majestic Angel
Blue Lip Angel
Emporer Angel
Personifer Angel
Chrysurus Angel
Cleaner Wrasse
White Head sand sifter Goby
Magnificent Fox face (thinking of selling him)
Dog Face Puffer
Anthias
Clowns

Last edited:
In order to modify the stand we had to use 4 car jacks to jack up the tank while it was standing on the stand.We built a frame to mount the jacks that stood around the tank and stand.We then took the feet out and slid the new base in under the stand.When we lowered it the stand legs snugly slid into the little legs on the base....and viola!

Last edited:
nice fish list,it's.......HUGE.lol
nice to hear that the stand is sorted...all we need now are.......pics pics pics!;)

Back
Top Bottom