Flame angel, to get or not?

gaz19

Wrasse
Reaction score
ok here's the situation

went to the lfs store today and my dad fell inlove with the flame angel, it costs R900 but he realy doesnt care, all he wants is to see this fish in my tank.:thumbup:

now my question is, should i get it or not?
last time i got a dawrf angel it chowed my lps. had to chuck him.
i got lots of lps softies and 10 or so sps at the moment. dont want to risk them.

what should i do? dont often get the chance to recieve a R900 fish with out a good report or cleaning my dads car.:lol:

mike Bushie

Chromis
Reaction score
You lucky bugger. If it where me I would get him. But that's just me. I personally think its the luck of the draw if your angel fish will go for your corals or not. Mine haven't touched any corals.
get it :thumbup:

gaz19

Wrasse
Reaction score
but its a R900 fish compare to R6000 of corals if not more, dont know if i should risk it

gaz19

Wrasse
Reaction score
the lfs told me its one of the only angels that behaive in a reef tank, maybe i should ask them to keep it in there coral holding tanks for a week and if it behaives il take it. then the risk isnt on me:)

mike Bushie

Chromis
Reaction score
You have a big sump don't you?
Stick him in there for a couple of days with some coral see what happens. PS this is a big time wild shot idea. Not saying by any means that it is the right idea. just so you know ;)

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Gaz its a tricky one, persoanally id take the chance...It could always be removed (with some difficulty ofcourse) BTW they retail for around R750 so R900 sounds a bit steep... id shop around..

i would however pay R900 for a very small one.. good luck with this decision..

mike Bushie

Chromis
Reaction score
Gaz its a tricky one, persoanally id take the chance...It could always be removed (with some difficulty ofcourse) BTW they retail for around R750 so R900 sounds a bit steep... id shop around..

i would however pay R900 for a very small one.. good luck with this decision..
up in jhb most of them go for R1000 plus i have seen some lfs selling for 1200. :Randy-git::ph34r:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My flame never munched any of my corals, not known as a baddun, although all angels are a risk, but i see more flams in reef tanks than any other angel, go for it, they are real beauties.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Put a couple of frags in his quarantine tank to test :p

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Flames are beauties, take the fish and hug your dad ;)

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
thats the spirit;) good luck

Zookeeper

Damsel
Reaction score
R900, glad I live in Cape Town.Suppose its a question of take advantage while you can type of shop.