Urgent help needed Flame angel in trouble

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by rakabos, 17 Jun 2011.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Hi guys

Got this flame a week ago and now he is all of a sudden very sick. He is in QT but i have no idea what this is. I will try get better pics, but here is what i got so far. PLEASE ADVISE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

is he in the main display or a quarantine tank?
    this looks like a pretty serious fungal growth and i am leaning towoards a mild copper solution as trestement (knowing that some are sensitive to it.) and pumping him with food containing vitimin additions such as red sea vite etc..

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude can you describe whats going on? Pics are very blur and the glass looks dirty

5. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

6. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Nevermind the freaking glass. The fish is at the top, not eating and he wont turn around so i can get a shot from the sick side

7. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Def a fungus of sorts, gonna get a pic asap from the sick side

8. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Is there anything i can buy at the LFS that can help with this ? I have vitamins to enrich food

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude i have been reading alot about dwarfs and copper and between 0.2 and 0.4 you should be safe if u decide to use cupramine

10. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

If its a clean Qt settup ie no live rock ect I would advise myxazin. I would stear clean of copper as flame angels are the most sensitive to copper and even when using cupramin there is a 50/50 chance of death

Trev

11. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Its in a QT with just a powerhead, airstone and some pvc, and heater. So will give myxazin a go. Do i still do 10% water changes everyday while treating ?

12. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

You could also look at using Sea Chem Kanaplex or Sea Chem Polyguard but I seriuosly doubt you will get any Kanaplex in Joburg I think only I have it but PolyGuard should be available but not as effective. Trev

13. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Huge round of apluas for you Rakabos firstly for having a QT tank and even bigger one for having the correct QT settup awsome stuff dude.

Trev

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

He can get all at any of the sponsors if they dont have they can order for him, I have seen it in the Latest Aquarium depot Catalog

15. Adam Scott

Adam Scott

Hi Rakabos

I think the biggest killer of ornamental fish is the mis identification of illnesses.Your angel has a turbidity of the skin, this is generally caused by a parasite related skin irritation and further complicated by a bacterial or viral infection.This is definately NOT fungus.What kind of parasitic irritation would only be confirmed by microscopic confirmation.

If it is a viral infection there is not much you can do besides let it run it`s course, I would treat the flame with an anti biotic like Nifurpirinol,available in S.Africa as Aquarium Munster`s Furamarin or floxi marin.

Check out Remedies - Marine Water - Aquarium M√ľnster - Fish like us

You could also treat with a mild anti parasite that is compatible with the anti biotic.

I have had great success with Fura marin in cases like this, but it is important to start immediately.

Adam

Alan and Reef Maniac like this.
  16. Tony

Tony

Well done Adam. Everyone is shouting a whole lot of possible medications but nobody has established what's wrong with the fish. Not every med cures every disease

Martin from the picture I can diagnose two possibilities, marine velvet or brooklynella although I cannot see any spots to confirm marine velvet. Martin please confirm any other things that the fish is doing and what it looks like. Is it breathing laboured, are there spots, its it breathing out of one gill opening or two, is it gasping at the waters surface, what are the physical things on the fishes body etc.

17. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

:lol::lol: that is exactly why the medication are all very very wide spread in what they cover in terms of parasites or external bacterial and fungal infections. I doubt any would be able to and I wouldnt trust anyones oppinion as what the heck that is without any proof but the one thing I can say is that velet/brook is not that localized as what we see on the pic

Trev

18. Tony

Tony

Thats why I asked if there were any spots on the fish to rule out velvet because it does present with the whitening of the fish in areas along with the spots and rapid breathing. Brooklynella can present as the patchy whitening of the skin along with rapid breathing, they also flash and rub against things, lose appetites and eventually stay at the bottom od the aquarium. Like mentioned earlier only a microscope smear will confirm the culprit but who has a microscope ,and all we have to go on are the pictures and hopefully a bit more info once Martin is back on line as to what the fish looks like and what it's doing so a bit more accuracy than a broad spectrum med can be used if necessary

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmm... Yes a proper diagnosis is required however a good guess considering it is an angel fish would be Columnaris. Columnaris Sp (angel fish disease) is a bacterial infection and is often confused with fungus.

Treatment is for bacterial infection and neomycin and nifurpirnol or better still a combination of the two is better. DO NOT treat simultaneously with copper or formaldehyde

Last edited: 18 Jun 2011
  20. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

I dont think it was velvet or brook, emphasis on WAS. It was very confined to the one side and at the gill

R.I.P

21. gaboon

gaboon

Sorry to hear dude.

Recent Posts