Flagtails

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by magman, 7 Nov 2010.

1. magman

magman

I was getting some water today, and remebered a friend telling me of the flagtails he has in his pooll. I also actually going to add some goldies for my QT/holding tank (will soon be my fly tank), I am sure they would help new fish settle in and encourage them to eat, basically calm and settle them. they also help cause if you feed several times a day they help take up the excess food etc.

What worried me though, if you have to add meds etc, or run hypo for new fish, then goldies maybe wont be strong enough. While the garden boy was getting me about 600l's of water I was diving and checking pools, so anyway I saw the flagtails and caught 5. I put them in the tank, and they were eating withinn 5 minutes, they really eat with vigour, they tough as nails, and they shoal in a very tight ball, tighter than chromis, and they look much nicer than chromis. It's just that they look like guppies, so I will never put them in my DT. But awesome liitle fish, does anyone else have them and what's their experience with them

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Most newbies living at the sea, have them in their tanks or started with them :whistling::whistling:

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

So must I start collecting for you for when you decide to go salt water

5. SIMS

SIMS

the 6 I hve are great. They around 13cm and keep in a nice shoal. I suspect they will get quite big. I got them from a friend shutting down his system and they were in his tank for 3 years. They eat anything I throw at them too.

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Good starter fish, but a bit too boisterous during feeding time.
    In fact, they are so fast, they get the majority of the food.

I eventually got my population down to 1 which I could not catch, so used a small specimen hook and had him in minutes. The others I had caught out with a catch box.

Funnily enough, the flag tail took a distinct dislike to my fire gobies, hounded them no end when I first put them in the tank.
    They did not survive .

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

sorry to hear about the gobies, some clowns are next in my tank, followed by some gobies....I wonder if I should not bring the shoal down to 2

8. SIMS

SIMS

how big are they?

9. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

I had some i got them as 1cm individuals what and awesome shoal they made, and them a month later they tripled in size and ate everybit of food that got into the tank and they where a mission to get out.

10. magman

magman Thread Starter

lol, I actually selected all the smaller one's, it was weird catching a whole shoal at a time, they about 3-4cm's

I designed this tank so that everything is very easy to move around and get fish out

11. SIMS

SIMS

well when they get to big you know my pool will have enough space for them

12. Slummies

Slummies

there are around 50 of them in a rock pool just outside EL...

13. SIMS

SIMS

and about 10 000 of them at mission rocks. also 100's of convict babies at the right time of the year

Recent Posts