fixing corals to existing rockwork

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by sweetnsour, 15 Jan 2010.

1. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Hi everyone

Ive been using pretleys std and quick set to fix my sps coral to existing rockwork but i find it to not either hold or really look crap.

id like some other suggestion on how to (glue) them to existing rockwork that cannot be taken out of the tank?

any and all advise is greatlyy aprreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. marine101

marine101

Hi, yes pratly takes real slow.

In theatre we use bone cement (tricalcium phosphate) to fix bone to bone or bone to metal prosthesis.

Not sure of the price or where to get it but it sets in 5 min. Also not sure if it leaches phosphate.

Maybe I can ask a rep when I c them

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

5. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Pratly is the best i have used and it is inert. If you have a problem with it setting make sure you mix the two parts equally. What I do is once mixed roll it into a long worm and wait a while before using. I would usually drill a core hole of say 10mm or more into the rock for branching type coralls and than run the putty in a coil around the opening. Once completed I mould some into the base of the hole. Put the corral in and than mould it smooth from the base to the rock with some pressure. Take your time We all stress at this point but I can assure you it is better than having the pieces fall over all the time. Should set within 10 minutes of placing in the aquaria
    Hope this helps
    Reef surgeon

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

for frags use gel superglue and turn off powerheads for an hour while it sets
    step 1. dry stem of coral and form nice blob of gel supeglue around and under frag stem.
    step 2. push onto rock gently and hold in place for two mins and gently release hand.

other option is to affix frag to piece of liverock with the gel and put it in a bucket of the tanks water for an hour and then move rock and attached frag into tank. this can be done attaching frag to small piece of liverock and then sticking the rock onto larger rock in tank with a hidden blob of pratleys . this way the coral attaches itself to rock sooner and you dont see the pratleys

7. Mekaeel

I use the same method as you mandarinman for sticking small frags. After sticking the coral to the rock, I usually place it in a low flow area in the sump, until it is dry.
    When using putty, I usually leave it overnight in the sump.

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

good idea to use sump!

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

Once you have mixed the pratley putty put it in the microwave for like 10 seconds. This heats it up and activates the chemicals a lot quicker. Sets rock hard in like 20 mins...

10. Mekaeel

I must give that a try. Shot for sharing Manic!

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

I think I read it in Anthony Calfo's book on coral propogation.

12. vatso

vatso

I was told about that from Martin it also makes older putty softer to work with

13. PeterL

PeterL

I was at Builders the other day and saw a product but wasn't convinced it would be safe - this reminded me because I meant to put a thread on it for some feedback.

This particular "putty" comes in the form of ganuals, the instruction says to put it into boiling water and it will become malluable (my guess the granduals would then intermix to form the size putty you require), it then goes on to say that once you have bonded the two objects together that it will set rock hard. It is a white granular product - I am not 100% certain but I think it was a Prattley's product.

Can some of the guys maybe have a look when next they bypass Builders and provide feedback.

If this product is OK, then it would cool off close to instantly as it gets lowered into the tank and it would elliminate the "drying time"

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Thread Starter

15. PeterL

PeterL

I don't recall, all I can tell is that it comes in a small plastic bag, similar to those you would get screws and washers in from Builders. You will find it by the glue/silicone products.

The small granuals/pellets are pure white and about as thick as the lead in a wooden pencil and maybe 2-3 times longer than they are round, solid tubular stucture. I will try get over there and have a look, try sneak in a pic to help things out.

16. Dane

Dane

can you use the superglue technique directly on a soft corals base? Like gluing a zoa straight onto the rockwork? Their foot generally has a hard feeling plate on it which I pressume are the already hardened old abyssal threads?>

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Super glue doesnt work on all softies.

superglue gel works very well on zoas. Just make sure that the base of the zoas is dry and the rock you gluing it onto is also dry. Once glued on, i will letave it in the sump fr a day or two just to be certain that it has attached.

18. Boegie

Boegie

Thanks for all the tips on this thread.

19. PeterL

PeterL

This is the product I was referring to, I got some of it but haven't tried it in the tank. I had an access card I use for work with the key ring clip which broke and mouled a new part, it was tricky because you have to work fast with this stuff because it hardens up very fast so for my first attempt I had to go at it 2 or 3 times. Bottom line is once it cooled off, it is set rock hard, it isn't a rubbery plastic - this stuff is solid - like instant Pratleys putty/steel.

I found it to be somewhat sticky so from that perspective and that it sets very fast, appears not to emmit any chemicals at all - it seems like it will do what we require. I am just not 100% sure how the corals will take to a "hot spot" on application, even thoug the stuff does cool very fast...Then again, super glue also creates a "hot spot".

Maybe I will give it a try just with some small pieces of rock and see how it goes, it also takes like one granual and you are done - there are thousands of granuals in a bag so theoretically it should last a long time...If anyone has any advice - positive or negative about this, please can we get some feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the cooling instructions - "place in water" - considering you HAVE TO work quickly with this stuff, it works out well for the corals in that their exposure time out of the water is minimised and you don't need to "sump" anything for curing time, once cool (1-2 seconds in cold water ie. your tank), it is set for life because you can only soften it with hot water again and you aint gonna be boiling your corals to take them apart...

20. Jacojs

Jacojs

Very cool find man:thumbup:

Hope it works but looks like it might as it says non toxic and real plastic!! Tagging to check out the results and holding thumbs.

Jaco.

21. PeterL

PeterL

I have some stray rock which used to be in a fresh water setup, I have had that in my system (sump) and hopefully can use that stuff for sticking frags to, I will try stick 2 of them together just now and post pics of the results

Recent Posts