RSS Fix all your fish tank and reef aquarium problems with 95% water changes*

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 21 May 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Having worked the retail marine LFS beat for many moons, we’ve seen countless people come in to the shop, day in day out, trying to get their water parameters right or worse, trying to figure out what the problem is. The chemistry of fish tanks and marine aquariums is very complicated, and sometimes the more chemistry you add to try to balance things out, the more the ions become harder to read.

Water changes are awesome; provided you are using better water than you started with, almost any water quality issues can be remedied by doing large partial water changes. It’s actually kind of amusing what percentage of aquarium products and devices are designed directly or indirectly with the notion to prevent you from doing a simple water change.*Biopellets? Carbon? GFO and Poly Filters?*Yup, those are all for improving water quality vis-a-vis delaying the next water change.

Now we’ve thoroughly advocated the changing of large volumes of water in nano reef tanks like Ecoreef One and Ecoreef Zero but this guy Jaime Andueza is taking the approach on a full on reef aquarium. Due to his own ‘pitfalls with chemistry’ compounded by an inability to read test results from color blindness, Jaime had the idea to due nearly complete water changes* on his reef aquarium, and it seems to be working for him.

[​IMG]That big asterisk in the title and in the text above is because if you couldn’t tell from his accent, Jaime is Australian and he’s pulling his water right off the reef. When doing large water changes, the greater the fraction of water being changed the more crucial it becomes to ensure the replacement water is of the utmost quality, completely mixed, oxygenated and of an appropriate temperature. With water pulled off the reef he doesn’t have any of those issues, except to keep his water warm.

What we wanted to bring to your attention with this video is that water*changes*trump all. Back when the previous generation of aquarists were trying to breed this or that species, or let alone keep it alive, the answer always seemed to be more water changes. If you’ve got some chronic aquarium chemistry issues and you feel like you’ve tried everything, do consider large water changes with high quality replacement water and see if that*doesn’t*improve the quality of your fish tank.

95% Water Change - Dec 2012 - YouTube
    <h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to read the article...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

This is insane... but it works for him, the proof is in the pudding... doubt if one can do a 95% water change with salt mix...

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Whoop whoop :slayer::slayer::1: I predict salt sales to increase.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can, but needs to ensure temperature, salinity and PH are the same.

I wonder how he does it. does he drain the tank till there is only 5% left. Then fill it up again? Or does he do a drain and refill at the same time, one side out, other side in. Second option would be better if there are slight differences and if done slowly. First option and refilling slowly and your liverock and corals would be exposed far to long. and the fish will be flapping about in very shallow water.

But on the second option, you obviously will be draining some of the water you just put in. In reality you would end up with far more than 5% of the original water left after the job is done.

Last edited: 21 May 2013
  6. riyadh

riyadh

have done this before, but it is over a few days. Every second day do about a 20 or 30% water change. It does work and have been doing this for years with my freshwater setup when I see things are severely out of sort.

7. archiecrain

archiecrain

I'm sure he must use an auto water changer.....it doesn't say how big the changes are. But if its a continuous changing of water that would make good sense.

8. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Amazing you got to watch the vid, he drains it to 5 % left in tank and fills it up. He uses some nice tools to do the draining and filling, theres the link in the first post

9. the fish

the fish

interesting read

10. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

I've tried this method twice, once about a year ago, and second time when i moved into my new place, 4 month ago.
    Since the water change the tank is been running brilliantly (knock on wood:p)
    First time i did it with sea water and second time with saltmix, i had better better result with saltmix for the major water change,
    and for the regular water change i do it with sea water and it works for me.

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

did not realize that there is a video link.

Whole process takes under 30 minutes. And his corals seems to be very happy with the process. More interesting to me is the live rock and creatures within. No massive die off either, unless he do not have any sponges left that should not be exposed.

12. shan

shan

i am setting up a pico and this is going to be my WC regime. But then again its a pico so the salt mix will still be cheaper then some of you major reef guys doing a 10% WC.

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

it works for him, if i lived at the coast and had access to it, i suppose i might look at doing them

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

waterchanges are good for a tank so if you had access to nsw or the finances to do more waterchanges why not?

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Depends where you collect your salt water. Some areas are somewhat polluted. Maybe running the water through some carbon will do it a world of good. However, like you said your tank is small so salt will be cheap.

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

good idea as a matter of course.

18. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I do not like this one bit!
    There must be loads of stress involved for the fish and corals.

Yes, water changes is great, but this is too extreme for my liking!

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

not if all perams are checked and adjusted pre change water is correct temp and aerated. temp .sg. ph kh cal same. it is same as a lagoon when high tide comes in

20. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

True Glen, but I don't see fish splashing around :p

Yes I fully agree with you regarding swapping all the water with perfect parameters.

I don't say this will not work, just not comfortable with the idea!

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

unless you do it weekly.
    Else you would have sponges within the rock that will die the first time you do it. Thereafter it should be fine to do this.

Recent Posts