Fitting chiller to RSM250

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by red deacon, 18 Jan 2015.

1. red deacon

red deacon

Hi guys

I am in the process of upgrading to a RSM250 and would appreciate advice on how to fit a Hailea chiller to the system. I cant see any threads on this so forgive me if I have missed them.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

There is a small attachment that goes in the top right area. It has fitting for two tubes on either side. That's what it's made for. Extra little box that comes standard with the tank. If you are buying second hand ask for it otherwise order online (jungle aquatics) should have.

You can either route your left return thought the chiller and back into your tank but the flow is poor. Add a second pump - limited space but you can do it. I replaced my standard pump with the strongest pump that would fit in the chamber. Better use of space and ideal spot for automatic top up as there no turbulence or bubbles.

red deacon likes this.
  4. red deacon

red deacon Thread Starter

Thanks Bendor much appreciated.

5. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Please ensure that you buy an over sized chiller for the tank
    The RSM 250 units run hot.

As shown in the diagram below.

There is an adapter top right hand side of the tank that allows the inlet and exit water flow for a chiller (Yellow arrow)

It did not make any sense to me to have the exit and inlet connection in the same compartment for the chiller. You sucking the same water back into the chiller that has just come out.

What I did was drilled a hole on the left hand side back of the tank (red arrow) and put the inlet pipe for the chiller in there and left the exit pipe on the right(Yellow arrow).

I feel you will get better circulation of the water with my setup.

[​IMG]

My inlet pipe for the chiller then runs to a Cascade pump which is also a filter then into the chiller and back into the tank (See below)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Jan 2015
  6. red deacon

red deacon Thread Starter

Cheers Mr Smith. Luckily I bought a unit that had this fitment come with it. I have a Hailea 300 working away nicely and keeping the temp at a steady 26 degrees. It is noisy at night when the chillers kicks in but my wives insomnia is a small price to pay to keep the fish and coral comfortable....

Recent Posts