Fishy's slow progress tank

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for my tank as it's kinda becoming something to look at. Not much but something. Maybe a thread will help me speed progress up on the tank but it can only go as quick as my finance allows.

Its a 140L aqua h2o curved glass tank with matching cabinet. I'm using a weipro 2013 skimmer, a canister filter doing 1100L/H, and a little powerhead doing 450L/H. The canisters outlet is creating the most flow if you're thinking 450L/H is to little.

Livestock includes a tiny tank bred false perc clown, a cleaner shrimp, two tiny blue legged hermit crabs and a small piece of LR with about six little unknown polyps on it that has sprouted a ridiculous amount of hair algae. Don't think straight away my phosphates are to high as this growth is only on the new piece that the polyps are on.

Tank cycled before I added any livestock and has been going well so far. only things being tested are ph 8.5 and salinity 1.024 (on crappy hydrometer). I use salt mix for my water changes witch are about 15% weekly.

Before anyone says :nono: about my skimmer I know it ain't great but its working so far. And I didn't mention a sump cause there aint one...:blushing:...Yet. Tank has only been running for around 2 months so all in due time.

I know everyone wants pics which will come asap. Now I am going to :1:every one enjoy the rest of your day.

Before anyone says :nono: about my skimmer I know it ain't great but its working so far. And I didn't mention a sump cause there aint one...:blushing:...Yet. Tank has only been running for around 2 months so all in due time.

Check out all the Nano's running with out sumps and the tanks are really healthy.

You keep in touch with the forum and you will have a great tank

please post pics of this rock that contains hair algea.lets try and stop it before it really gets a foothold :)

Hi Steve, as Miki says, post pics, we could be helping you along the way

Hi Steve - I agree with Mekaeel - get those rocks into a dark tank with only a power-head for flow. Unless you actually have corals on these rocks - "cook" them urgently. The hair algae WILL take over, believe you me....

BTW: nothing wrong with the skimmer - perhaps just add a stronger pump/power-head (minimum a 2000 litre / hour - as this skimmer is rated for this), and IF you can get an even stronger power-head pump, it would be better.
Then, you you want to, you can add a air-pump to the air-inlet (the stronger the better, as well), and the skimmer will perform like there's no tomorrow.

Also - if you don't have a sump - it's not the end of the world. Do you have a DSB in-tank at least? I have a tank running like this.... (my second tank). Not much life-stock though. BUT, my WeiPro 2013 is pulling out serious crap!

pump on skimmer

Pic's won't come out. Finaly got some to upload and now cant make it work.
I've got a lifetech 2500l/h pump on my skimmer. Is that too powerful?

43448051b39926c6.jpg

someone please let me know if they can see that.

weipro 2013, same as is says in first post.:)

43448051f13ced0d.jpg

whole system
43448051f52b2b1f.jpg

coolest fish ever
43448051f955d533.jpg

full tank shot
4344805228a3ba62.jpg

I'm having a real problem with thick bright green algea growing really fast on the sand and back glass. It's slowed down since the picks were taken but it was apearing like that almost daily. Thought getting hermits would help but they don't seem to stir up the substrate at all.mainly stan on the LR.

Looking good... Yeah Midasblenny... I want one to but, never seen them at a good price...

Sorry 'bout the bad pic's. Taken with phone. Substrate is crushed coral, wanting to replace with aragonite soon.

Get some more flow in your tank, and get a airstone in there, can be some sort of cyno....

Back
Top Bottom