fishtank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by WAYNE HEATHCOTE, 11 Jun 2009.

1. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE CHOPPY

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prodigy

Prodigy

welcome to MASA
    Looks nice dude try get the pics alil bigger
    And more pics more pics
    Give us some specs about your tank

4. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. More pics of the set up would go down a treat.

5. Boendoe

Boendoe

:welcometomasa2:

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

More pics of the tank pls! :thumbup: What are the tank specs btw? I noticed in your other thread ppl were concerned about the Heni and the Trigger.

7. aslam

aslam

Hello Wayne,welcome.

8. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

A warm welcome to you!!!

You will notice that people on this forum are "Pictures" crazy!!

So give us what we want!!! More pics please!, and specifications!

9. inflames

inflames

masahello

10. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

masahello

11. seank

seank

Looks really nice

12. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

Tank Specs

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]IM NOT SURE ABOUT ALL THE SPECS BUT AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THE TANK IS APPROX 1.5MHIGH AND 1M WIDE. BECAUSE THE TANK IS BUILT INTO THE RESTAURANT WALL IT IS NOT ALL THAT SPACIOUS I THINK IT IS A 400L+ TANK IT HAS A UNDER GRAVEL FILTER AND UNDERNEATH ARE TWO LARGE AQAUH20 FILTERS WITH BIOLOGICAL FILTER ONLY (RECENTLY REMOVED ALL CARBON FILTER BECAUSE WE GOT A HANG ON PROTEIN SKIMMER) INSIDE THE TANK ITSELF IS THE SKIMMER AND A SMALL POWERHEAD TO AID CIRCULATION THERE ARE TWO 300W HEATERS THAT I KEEP AT A STEADY 24DEG . FOR LIGHTING I HAVE RECENTLY REPLACED A BOKEN METAL HALIDE FOR THREE FLOURESCENT BULBS ,A SUNGLOW (white) 1 moonglow(blue) and a pink bulb?? the reason for this is to hopefully get the calcareous algae to grow a bit better. the lights are usually kept on during the opening hours of the restaurant from 9am to 10-11 pm .The only test kits i have are an ammonia and nitrite ... (both read o) i test salinity with a new floating hydrometer and try to keep it at a steady 0,24-0,25 Before i got the skimmer i used to do a 30%water change every 2 weeks with premixed seasalt but now that i have the skimmer i"ve been told that water changes are no longer nescesary (??????) is this true with a fish only tank?? i feed the fish twice a day and only as much as can be consumed in a minute or two,and i try to vary the food a best i can... im very careful not to overfeed ,as i dont want a high phosphate count and another cyanobateria bloom . my ph was recently tested and is above 8 i do plan on getting more test kits but my budget is small so i try get a little more every month i hope this gives you enough info on the tank and you will be able to give me advice on what to do next etc thanx [​IMG]

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA!

Although you don't have corals, I would still do water changes - I just believe in it. Ask the guy who told you that if he would like to bath in the same water over and over again :p
    In my opinion those Jebo skimmer are no good - they work better filled with sand and used as a door stopper :whistling:
    If you wanna add corals later on, you'll have to get used to do water changes and upgrade the skimmer. The lights will also need to be upgraded and for a tank that's so deep, only a metal halide will work for corals ;)

14. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey there, welcome. Just read through your post and it said that you want coraline algae to grow, but there are a number of factors that need to be taken into acount for that to grow, and lighting is only one aspect, the other aspects are levels of calcium, kh, ph and as said, lighting.

Water changes are a must and I think you should continue the amount that you were doing before you got the skimmer ( the jebo skimmer can be modified to do well but is way underpowered for your size tank).

Good luck

15. crispin

crispin

hi wayne, please hit enter after each pic so they go under each other so we dont have to scroll across to read posts. :)

16. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Crispin - Some people like to walk on a straight line!!:razz::lol:

17. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

Thanx for the advice. The water changes were first done using saltmix(can"t remember the make) but that became very expensive Robin told me that seawater would be better so over a 2 month period i did a complete water change. the fish seem alot more lively,BUT IM SCARED OF BRINGING PARASITES IN WITH THE WATER. The skimmer was the cheapest we could find .What type of skimmer would be suitable and what is the price range? i see there are a few diy posts ,maybe that could become an option? the tank does not have a sump,is that also very imprtant ?

18. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

I only do water changes with sea water, and my tank is doing great hey. I'd use sea water if I were you, and you could get a cleaner wrasse to chow the parasites off the fish if they get any, which sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. Your tank is 400 litres, I'm sure you could DIY a skimmer if the funds aren't readily available, otherwise a reefoctopus skimmer could do well, just don't know which one, I know you can get ones that hang on the side of the tank so less equipment inside the display.

A sump is not a necessity, but it does help with keeping the display clear of equipment like heaters, skimmer, etc.

Recent Posts