fishless or not quite cycle

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mupwi, 30 Sep 2010.

1. mupwi

mupwi

I have read up on this fishless cyceling using coctail shrimp but I was wondering if there is a spicific reason for using shrimp from my understanding it just rrequires somthing to be decomposing in the tank co could just a piece of fish be used for this ( not ornimental fish but a pice of what I might cook for dinner)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi mupwi i dont think ivwe welcomed you to masa.

personally i just use LR to cycle a tank, no decomposing shrimp or a piece of hake. the way i figure it is that there is always die off on LR when you first get it and the bacteria you wish to cultivate and get into ballance within the LR will use this decomosing material from the die off to expand their population.

by adding a shrimp or something like that you run the slight risk that you dont have enough bacteria and benificial micro organisms to deal with the decay leading to an ammonia spike which it turn kills a few other things like hitckhikers etc, thus it could prolong the cycle period before the biological filtration systems are ready in the tank.

so just make sure the SG and temp are correct and add as much LR as you intend to use in the tank (aound 1kg per 10l of water) and leave that to cycle its self:)

4. rakabos

rakabos

Recent Posts