Urgent help needed Fish without a mature tank

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by vincentputter, 13 Dec 2011.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

I made a mistake by getting the fish first. They are under quarantine and I'm treating them for Ich via the transfer method. I'm getting my 500 liter tank this Thursday.Is there a way to keep a FO tank without live rock by adding chemical liquids to filter the water and then slowly add more live rock?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you got fish, but no tank?

What about the tank and rock cycle part did you read?

Sorry

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Get someone to hold onto the fish until your tank is ready.
    Starting a tank without liverock is a very bad idea.
    You can keep them in quarantine using the transfer method and rely on water changes to keep water parameters stable. Trying to replace liverock with additives in a display tank will lead to problems and place stress on the fish.
    Best to start out properly as it will be help you out in the long run.

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

what fish did you get and where are you keeping them?

6. Dlaria

Dlaria

Check with your local fish store. They may be able to fish-sit in one of their tanks for you.

7. salty dog

salty dog

why?

8. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Fish without a home.... :p

Some good advise from 459b. Ask a fellow reefer to maybe keep the fish in their sumps for you. It will be easy to catch once your tank is ready. You do need the liverock for a proper cycle process. Even if you use chemicals, later when you add the live rock, you will in essance cycle the tank with the fish inside. Not a good idea.

9. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I am currently doing the transfer method in a bunch of 60l tanks and then I'll have to relay on water changes to keep the water stable until my display tank Is mature enough. Is there a way to speed up the cycling process?

10. 459b

What fish is it?
    How come you sitting without a tank, werent you running one?

11. rakabos

rakabos

How on earth do u buy fish without a properly ready tank, that just blows my mind. so now the fish is under stress in a bucket because you didn't think ? Im sorry but there is no excuse for this.

Take the fish back to where you bought it from

Last edited: 14 Dec 2011
  12. vincentputter

This is what happened. I had a pico reef (5l) for almost 6 months then the coral and stuff out grew the tank. I then decided to transfer every thing to a bigger tank (20l). Everything was fine after a month so I decided to add some fish (Baby convict tang and a baby blackspot sergeant major). After 2 days everything was dead except the fish. I transferred the fish to a 60l tank and did a 50% water change twice a week until the got Ich and now I'm treating them with the transfer method.

13. 459b

That makes sense.
    If the fish are small enough, then treating them in 60l tanks will be ok.
    How far are you from having the big tank running?
    There are ways to cycle a tank slightly faster, but i would not recommend doing it if you have sick/stressed fish.
    Rather dont rush - cycle the big tank as you normally would and keep the sick fish in the 60l tanks until they 100% disease free.
    60l is nano size so you can always add a canister filter and some chemical filtration media and keep them them until the tank is ready.
    Make sure the convict gets enough food, little tangs sometimes dont eat well and prefer to peck algae off rocks.

vincentputter likes this.
  14. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hi Vincent, this is a disturbing thread to read. You led me to believe you had a tank ready for the seargent major that I gave you. I would rather have released him back where I caught him if I had know about this. I am not going to put any fish with WS in my main sump, however if the fish are going to die then I could restart my Boyu and look after them for you. Let me know if you need my help.
    Nico

15. vincentputter

Hi Nico! Don't worry about the seargent major. My friend is taking care of him at the moment in his tank untill my tank is ready for him. He Is way to big to be in a 60l tank. Also my other fish is doing fine in the 60l tank. The are swimming about, eating health, breathing normally and Isn't scratching them selfs anymore. I'm getting my 500l tank tomorrow and It will be running on Saterday.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and only 6 weeks later is the cycle completed. You can turbo charge it a bit dumping special doepa and blends and bacteria into system. But the dead organisms must first be eaten or be rotten away. the corpse must be removed.
    Depending on the quality of rock you get, that could be the deciding factor on how many corpses must be eaten by the left over zombies before the tank is cycled.

mandarinman likes this.
  17. FransSny

FransSny

Damn , we all make mistakes as we start off in this hobby (I know I have made a LOT !). So here are my comments......

1. @nico Koertenbout, did you not ask about his setup...? IMHO just as bad a decision as taking the fish

2. @vincentputter , sorry to say bud but you need to do some more reading. The reason "everything died" was your increased bioload on a system not able to sustain that. You might have a tank up and going by Saturday, but you are walking the tightrope wrt your LS health...

Listen to what I am saying...take it SLOOOOOWWWW, you will reap the rewards in the end.

Let someone house your LS untill , your system is 100 %, no rush

Sorry if I sound harsh, I have just seen so many people come and go due to rash decisions / purchases...stay in the hobby for years to come is my idea

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. SteveZi

SteveZi

it's a bit dodgy to give fish you have collected locally to someone else, no matter what...

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

@vincentputter

Did you read the link below in my signature on starting a marine tank? If not, I suggest you do as this will give you a lot of info regarding a tank cycle (nitrogen cycle), lights, filtration, live rock, etc.
    It is not a long read but a enjoyable one ;)

Do yourself the favour :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Ok..I'm going to quicky high-jack this Thread...:blush:...I remember reading about the different types of LR and which is better for what purpose...now if memory serves me right...Kenya was the best for Filtration as it was more pourous...? Sorry if I'm wrong..I'm ACTUALLY searching for that very Thread...:p...if someone knows...pls send a Link...somewhere on MASA..:p

21. vincentputter

Ok! So I've made my decision. Once the fish is free of Ick, I'm giving them to my friend coz he realy wants the convict tank an the seargent major. Also once my tank is up and running, I'm gona take It slow and follow Tobes advice under his signature on starting a marine tank.

Recent Posts