Fish tank in your garage

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rudeboy1, 26 Feb 2012.

1. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Hi All

I would just like to know if anyone is currently keeping a tank in there garage where they park there car?

I would like to put a fairly decent sized than in my garage but I am worried about the exhaust fumes from my car.

Can anyone please advise if my cars fumes will affect my tank? I dont keep my car running for long in the garage. I just pull it in and off it goes.

Thanx all! ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

do you reverse in? if not, no problem

4. Jayceew

Jayceew

My quarantine tank is in my garage with no ill effects over the last 6 months, just dont let the car idle for too long.

5. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Thanx guys appreciate it.

I also have corrugated iron and plastic rgb sheets as roofing, the garage gets pretty hot on some days would that have a big affect on the temperature of my tank?

6. Kharnyge

Kharnyge

With our weather in the summer down here a garage with that kinda roofing could get dangerously hot depending on size and how much direct sun it gets during the day.Its something you might want to check out before adding livestock cos temperature fluctuations could be bad for livestock.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, I think you already know the answer to your own question.

Seriously have to look into proper isolation. Else, with that extra water you will turn your garage into a sauna. Also add ventilation fan.

8. Tony

Tony

You may need a big chiller, overated for your tank size if you want to keep your tank temperature stable. Other than that I cant see a problem. Your car is on for very little time once you are in the garage with the exhaust facing out so I shouldnt see a problem with carbon monoxide.

9. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

There was a few options I had when it came to the garage. I either put in a proper ceiling with insulation which should bring the temperature down, or I can setup about 3-4 fans and let them blow constantly, add in a few air vents on top of the roof or just put in an air con?

Im looking for the most cost effective but the most efficient way.

10. Quintin

Quintin

Yea dude.
    Have my frag tank / temporary tank in my garage with no worries.
    Here is my link ... New Tank Build plus electronics - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Remember Carbon Monoxide is a HEAVY gas, so it all goes out the garage door when you open to leave, just don't idle the car in the garage for yonks or you gonna gas your fish kinda the same way people do....

11. Quintin

Quintin

Or you open the garage door for fresh air.
    Have my chiller connected but never seen it on with the garage door open.

12. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

I have a Sonata so i cant really smell any fuel when it runs. The great part about it is that the Sonata is extremely long and it is basically almost against my garage door.

The garage door will be open during the day, most of the day. I am going to be experimenting from my garage!:biggrin:

13. Helga

Helga

Another question rudeboy1...... Will the tank have a closed top? I'm just thinking a garage without a proper ceiling are normally very dusty. How would you keep the dust out of the tank?

14. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You need to invest in a EVA3 IMHO...chiller is heavy to run, again...IMHO....I personally wouldn't do a Tank in the garage with that roof as I see from you'r Post that THAT is also one of you'r main concerns...
    Idol marine goes cool!!!!!! - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

15. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Thank you Belinda. The garage door will be open most of the day though. What I will do is setup the tanks and leave them for a few weeks and watch the temperature.

If it heats up I will add the chillers, but if not then its great for me!

It does get dusty but everything has been redone, I have had the floor and walls painted, all the cracks and chips filled and I am going to be replacing my garage doors now as well.

16. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Helga it will be open top.

17. maj

maj

funny enuff i just set up a frag tank in my garage,been ther since 5 January this year.
    its 400litre tank,no LS in yet as i first monitored the conditions and temp,the temp heats up from 21 degree at nite to 31degree in midday wher ambient temp is like 28degrees.

on those scorcher days it jumped to 34degrees.

Bear in mind this had no chiller ,no heaters,no LS either;)
    also my garage has great ventilation to assist with the sauna effect,and it only received sun form about 2pm onwards till about 5pm.

18. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

So basically it is very hot in these kind of garages. Now what would be my options apart from adding a chiller.

Can I put in 2 large fans or can I put in air conditioning? I would like to put in air conditioning if it will keep the temp stable.

19. belindamotion

IMHO fans just circulate the hot air...:blush:...I feel air-con and chiller would really push you'r Account Bill to new hights..:p...with an air-con you would most likely defeat the objective as you mention the doors are likely to be open most of the time...I would do the EVA...with doors open it would still kind of be like "defeating the objective" but at least it wouldn't break the Bank at the end of the month...:)

20. Quintin

Quintin

@belindamotion the idea of an EVA is quite interesting.
    How much do they go for and how much more water does the tank chew?

I'm running the Hailea 500A on the frag / temp tank in my garage keeping the water at 26 deg.
    Tank chews about 20l of water every 2 days using an auto top up system, so suspect with an EVA you will be doing fresh water top ups twice a day?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. belindamotion

I do not know how much more water the EVA chews....that would be Rob and Adriaan's department...All I know is that I'm someone who has a tight budget and I don't have the luxury to be unaffected by a sky-high bill at the end of the month...I will thus have to choose....it's either a Chiller and finding out that I can't run it anymore as I can't afford it...detrimental to my Livestock...or get something like a EVA...where I can "budget" for it at the end of the month...I admitt, I would then most likely have to have a bigger ATU...probably remote..eg tub/jojo...if not that then yes...it's a shlep to do so much water top-ups...such an inconvenience to me, but in the end not detrimental for my Livestock and for me that is the bottom line...if a person hasn't got a "budget" then by all means the option to choose freely is there, many Members are like me...working on a Budget...I'm not suggesting the EVA as "my personal opinion" between Chiller, Air-con and EVA...but comming more from a "point of view" of someone most likely having a Budget to stick too...that way he/she won't make a mistake by, say...buying a Chiller only to get the shock of his life, the end of the month...and then only find out that there was another "cooling option"...:)

Recent Posts