Fish Problem

Reaction score
The last week has been really stressful.

I have had quite a few fish die and I can't work out why.

I have a Hippo that had whitespot really bad, that has gone but now he seems to have weird black blotches on his blue skin.

The other weird thing is I thought the Hippo would be the fish to die if any.

The fish i have lost all were feeding and very active, then the following morning dead or missing (I have a very good CUC)

Water parameters are as follows:

ph - 8.3
meq/l - 4
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 25.2
Nitrite - 0.07
Nitrate - 7
NH3 - 0.08
PO4 - 0.04

Could the NH3 or Nitrite at these levels be killing off the fish ?

All corals (even SPS) are doing well, nemmie is also looking great and feeding like a beast.

Any ideas what parasite, bacteria or something else could be killing off my fish

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Could the NH3 or Nitrite at these levels be killing off the fish ?
Definatly a cause of stress in a system. Do you know where it is comming from?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The bloches sound like ammonia, rather than nitrite, your tank move could have stirred up some problems, large water changes and patience is the key, ammonia actually burns the fish, so be prepared for more losses unless you can remove the fish, but don't add anything unless your perams improve.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will test the water later and see if there have been any changes.

Done 150L water changes in the last two days.

Reaction score
Well I meant to say - Nitrite levels as you will encounter in 99% of all aquariums will not kill your fish. The LC50 values for nitrite has been measured in a study to be not lower than about 300 ppm for many marine fish. No hobby test kit can even come close to testing to those ranges - they just do not exist in our aquariums with LR.

However Nitrite levels as low as 30ppm can kill inverts easily - like urchins, snails etc.

Reaction score
Well I meant to say - Nitrite levels as you will encounter in 99% of all aquariums will not kill your fish. The LC50 values for nitrite has been measured in a study to be not lower than about 300 ppm for many marine fish. No hobby test kit can even come close to testing to those ranges - they just do not exist in our aquariums with LR.

However Nitrite levels as low as 30ppm can kill inverts easily - like urchins, snails etc.
That is interesting, all my other livestock are happy. Shrimps, snails, urchin and corals, that is why I am so confused.

Reaction score
I was just trying to say your nitrite levels are not an issue. Neither your nitrate, and unless something died or it is a cycling tank, the ammonia reading is most prob. wrong.

Check to see if there are any predators you do not know of - such as crabs, large mantis etc.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
That is interesting, all my other livestock are happy. Shrimps, snails, urchin and corals, that is why I am so confused.
IMO most inverts wont be as sensative to amonia levels as what fish are, there are even reports of clam farmers raising levels of amonia to feed the clams.

Reaction score
I was just trying to say your nitrite levels are not an issue. Neither your nitrate, and unless something died or it is a cycling tank, the ammonia reading is most prob. wrong.

Check to see if there are any predators you do not know of - such as crabs, large mantis etc.
That was something i consider but i couldn't see any injuries or signs of predatory action on the dead fish that were still together (some had been eaten by my CUC)

Reaction score
Ok water changes are doing the job.

Nitrate - 2
Nitrite - 0.02
NH3 - 0.06

Would you guys suggest doing daily water changes or see if the nitrogen compound consumers bring the levels down ?