fish or coral first

Discussion in 'New Members' started by albert, 29 Jul 2013.

1. albert

albert

Should I put fish or corals firsr? Please help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Fish add a significant load on your aquarium's filtration system (a good reason not to add to many at the same time) and can cause temporary instability in the system and even a mini cycle.

I normally add fish and then measure everything for a week or two, specially nitrates to check that your filtration system can cope with the load.

Once the tank is stable at fish load, I would add corals. They (normally) have little impact on the filtration. Just be careful that the Live Rock does that the coral comes on does not introduce a mini cycle into the tank.

All this said, I have found that a using a proper bacterial supplement can deal with a lot of load when introducing fish and/or corals.

dallasg likes this.
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Good advice there, but you can add the other way round depending on what your goal is!

5. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Fishload you only normally add/increase over a few months anyway, so as long as you don't add a lot at once, you can add any which way. Normally a fish or 2 first, then some corals, then some more fish, then more corals etc. The critical part is just to add everything slowly over a couple of months and not all at once.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Note that some corals depends on the fish poo to have something to eat. else you could end up being forced to add coral foods. Not that it is a bad thing, but still I would do as advised, start with a few fish, add corals, then more fish, more corals, until one day you are happy. (although that day seems never to happen)

Recent Posts