Fish Only Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by VicZA, 20 Oct 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

I have a dilemma .... I love corals and so have tried to create a reef tank. However, there are quite a lot of fish that I see are very, very cool yet are not reef safe ... so am considering making a second tank as a "fish only" tank. Can someone answer the following for me :

1 - Is the lighting a huge consideration in a fish only tank ? Since fish do not use photosynthesis ?
    2 - Could you use dead/marco rock and synthetic sand in a fish only tank without causing harm to the fish ?
    3 - Would the skimmer have to be "heavier duty" as there would be no critters to eat up nutrients ?
    4 - Would flow be less of a consideration ?

I am sure I will think of some other questions later .....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

1. light has no bearing at all
    2. yes
    3. no more than usual, but you do tend to feed more, so anything more is good
    4. flow still needs to be there, but no need to go crazy

4. hammers

hammers

I personally think live rock in your tank is important because you are probably looking at flys as one of the species. If you are going to keep them without any coral to pick at then you should at least give them some decent rock to graze on even if they are eating flakes and other prepared foods, or wait till the rock gets a bit of character before you start adding live stock.

5. flappy

flappy

To get a colourful display you will want coralline algae to grow...esp. in a FOWLR...if you want this then lighting and reef quality water will be required with elevated Calcium and magnesium.....you also want to keep your nutrients down to prevent algae growth so in my view the same set up as a reef will be required...
    Of course you could go bare bones but it will show long term...

6. dallasg

i would use real reef rock in a FOWLR, without a doubt

7. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

thanks folks ... if you guys ever saw it, I would love to build a "white" tank as was in the middle of Idol Marine ... very clynical looking. White silicon, white cladding, etc ... I know theirs was mixed reef but I would like to make mine fish only and maybe some coral as suggested. I get the point with live rock - just nutrient control starts off much harder that way ... think "real reef rock" may be the best.

Will post some more ideas a little later to bounce off everyone

What I am after most of all are the dwarf angels !!!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2014
  8. dallasg

With heavy skimming and GFO you can run a successful FOWLR , even add cheato to sump

9. JonGoetsch

JonGoetsch

I would assume that the sump would have to have a very active refuge with loads of macro for copods as the systems copod population would be under continual threat.

I agree with @flappy good lights for tank are needed

Good quality LR needed for good tank biology

A good quality skimmer will be a benefit rated for a bit more than total volume , don't be shy here

Good water flow is needed as there will be lots of fish poop and you don't want it to settle in dead zones

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Actually, I suppose to help with the fish poop ... a few shrimp and some hermit crabs wouldn't hurt. I would like to try a refuge with some rubble rock and cheto too as this is something I need to consider for my current tank where I have 3 wrasses and 2 mandarins all competing for pods.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

rather go bigger.

For lionfish and eels, or any other messy eater, there will be a lot more waste. A bigger skimmer will help.

Also the filtration system needs to be good. For the same reason. Good quality liverock, with loads of bristle worms. Orca cubes or Seachem Matrix or MarinePure bio filter media. The old simple DSB will most likely be too small to be of success in a full on predator tank.

For that I would also go for a bigger return pump. To up the flow rate to the sump and filtration.

12. flappy

flappy

I have to agree with this....:m01:
    Will give you the color you so desperately want in a FOWLR system....

Recent Posts