Fish ID needed

Reaction score
Hi guys caught this guy yesterday but not sure what it is it looks like a surgeon or tang of some sort but not sure here are some pics quality isnt great though dont have a fancy camera
156749a825b405df4.jpg
156749a825d2a92c6.jpg
156749a8260b32a95.jpg

if you look at the bottom picture there is the common surgeons we catch here and then there is the other closes to the camera thats the boy i am trying to identify.When he gets stressed he has like grey splotches on him got me stumped

That looks like a Unicorn Tang. Becareful they get huge, like over 700mm. One of the giant of the surgeon / tang family

p-89373-tang.jpg

Not so sure, I dont think they reach that far? It looks more like either a juv. Acanthurus Thompsoni or a Acanthurus Dussumieri. Both of which used to be common in the wild coast when I used to live there. I think more like the thompsons tang??

Just looking at the book "Reef Fishes and Nudibranchs" and they state that you do get the naso uniconis as far south as southern KwaZulu-Natal and reaches a size of 70cm.
So my previous post could be wrong - sorry:sorry:

thanks for all the help should i keep him or should i get rid of him not too sure now although he looks quite preetty in the photo's

thanks for all the help should i keep him or should i get rid of him not too sure now although he looks quite preetty in the photo's

You could keep him, but just keep in mind that he is going need a really big tank as he gets bigger

My mate had one of these in his 6 footer. He had to get rid of it within months and the only place it could go to was the aquarium in Portsmouth

Back
Top Bottom