Urgent help needed Fish got white spot,no medicine available

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Charl_Stanhope, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey guys.

Please, I need urgent help. I stay in Hermanus and there is no shop close by where I can buy medicine for my fish. It looks like they have got an itch or white spot. its still in the beginning stages. Ive got 5 clowns,1 tomato clown,1 keyhole angelfish and a striped dottyback.2 turbo snails and 4 starfish. only the clownfish got the white spots and they are all eating well and they are very active. What can I use to cure them when I do get to a shop and what can I use in the meanthime untill I can get to a shop. Ive only got some nice quality live rock,with no corals or any other anenomes and stuff.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

You have 6 clownfish in one tank?

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi
    If you have spare water , do a 25 % water change
    You could lower your salinaty , dont do it too quikly , rather over 2 days.
    If you have crushed garlic in the fridge , put some of the garlic juice / oil into or over the food they are eating.
    And Put a thick towel or blanket over the tank, causing a blackout, usualy 3 days helps to keep the whitespot from reataching to the fish once its free swimming.

You seem to have quite a bit of fish "eating well" as you say, and i have no idea how mnature your tank is so...
    Be weary of turning up the temp unless youve tested the ammonia , as ammonia is more toxic at higher tempritures than it is at lower.

Im sure you can have some one currier you some herbatana whitespot meds or one of your choice as soon as shops open again - if you dont come right, let me know and we will do it.

Good luck
    David

5. Anemone

Anemone

Treating Ich with hypo salinity in the display tank will kill off the inverts. It is best to move the fish to a QT tank. It is also best to medicate fish in QT.

Ich can become evident when fish are stressed. It sounds to me that he is way over stocked with clownfish.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

clwnfish arer small

all of the clownfish are quite small. the largest one is probably 3cm long. got them all really tiny when i first started a year ago and decided to just add some more. they all seem to be getting along very well.

7. Anemone

Anemone

Do you have a QT tank?

Give us more information about your display tank, such as size, water parameters, equipment, etc.

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I had the same problem about a week ago now :(

My situation did not work out so well. I lost x2 Clowns (nemo style), x1 cleaner wrasse and x1 miniature Angel. My original fish which showed the spot, a sail fin tang is still covered with the spot and my one of two blue Cronus has a few spots but it seems because of an seaweed / algae dry food I feed them is coated in garlic and they haven't died yet due to them eating this :)

As you know the garlic has got Vitamin C in it and so the only fish which has survived so far is those three due to them eating this garlic coated dry seaweed / algae :thumbup:

That would be the best treatment in my opinion if you do not have access to medicines or you don't have a QT tank. Then again I am also a noob at this hobby so don't just listen to me mate please :whistling:

9. xtreme

xtreme

Hi

That Tomato clown will kill the others clowns, best to make a plan now with him, Maybe he is starting chasing the others, if you had them for so long then they are proberly stressing over something. What food do you use?, I use Ocean Nutrition and I can see the difference in my fish, some of the food even got garlic in it.

10. Charl_Stanhope

Im using tetra marine flakes and ocean nutrition. I also feed them bloodworms from time to time which they cant get enough off. Im feeding them flakes dipped in garlic oil for now while I wait for the medicine to be courrier. Also Im starting to realise more and more that the tomato clown might be the cause of the clowns having white spot due to the stress they are under since none of my other fish are showing any signs of white spot(itch). Only the clowns. so it must be due to stress.

11. Charl_Stanhope

More info on my tank. Ive got a 128 litre fish only tank for now. Gonna going into corals and stuff later. Its about a year old. Im using a sponge filter in first section,t(compartment,whatever you call it)then the water runs through phosguard purigen and activated carbon which i change every month or so,3rd section ive got a skimmer which is working fine.Ive also got 10 bio balls and 3 bags of ceramic rings. Ive got about a 1700 litre ph flow rate in my tank(a pump and a mp250 flow pump aligned on the live rock. I changed the positioning often). ive got 15kg of live kenyan rock and 3 kg of base rock which is starting to show signs of coraline growth. I am really struggling with brown and green hair algae and i have been trying everything for 2 months to get rid of it. if anyone can help ill be gratefull coz im on the verge of giving up. the itch is another nail in the coffin for me. my water parametres are all fine. here they are : (no3 - 10mg/l) , (no2 - omg/l) , (ca - 440mg/l) , (kh - 7d) , ( ph - 7.7) . Im dosing with magnesium,strontium and calcium weekly except for the calcium which i do every second week. its from advanced ultra formula series. I use natural sea water which show no signs of no3 and the rest of the parametres seem fine with that water.I mix it with ro/di water to get the right salinity. I also do a 10% water change weekly. ive just done 2 20% the last week. Ive got 5 baby clowns(largest one 3 cm, 1 tomato clown, a dottyback, a keyhole angel. 2 turbo snails,had 2, 2 died(dont know why) and 4 starfish. please please help. Ive tried everything on the internet and from all the lfs i could see and email but im still battling with that disgusting stuff....sorry about the long post.

12. xtreme

xtreme

Hi

What water do you use to top up? Don't dose anything you can not test for. Your PH is a bit low, up it to 8.3, maybe you said it or not, what lights do you use?

13. xtreme

xtreme

Oh and your PO4 reading?

14. Charl_Stanhope

I dopnt have a po4 testing kit yet. will hopefully have it by the end of the week.

15. xtreme

xtreme

Algae= 1. Tap water for top up
    2. Nitrates
    3. Phosphates
    4. Lights

Try and remove the bio balls and rings, its a nitrate trap.
    Your sponge,charcoal and purigen with the skimmer is fine. As long it's a decant skimmer

Oh and you said you are changing the charcoal and purigen every month, do you put new purigen in?

16. ashley100

ashley100

sorry but what is purigen

17. xtreme

xtreme

Purigen
    Product Description
    Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen® is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

Sizes: 100 mL 250 mL, 500 mL, 1 L, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L
    Why It's Different
    Selectivity: Purigen® is the highest capacity organic filtration resin on the market. No other products can compare to its ability to clear haziness and polish water to unparalleled clarity. Unlike other products on the market which are simple ion-exchange resins, Purigen® is specifically designed to be an organic scavenging resin. When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen® has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics. The primary source of nitrogenous compounds in an aquarium is waste. Fish, corals, even plants produce nitrogenous waste. Purigen® removes that waste faster and more completely than anything else on the market.

Capacity: Purigen’s™ possesses enhanced capacity owing to its vast surface area. All other resins on the market are purely spherical extruded beads. These beads remain smooth even under a microscope. Purigen® is both spherical and macroreticular. It has microscopic pores that increase its usable surface area to many times that of a purely spherical resin.

Regeneration: Purigen® can also be regenerated. As it adsorbs waste products, Purigen® will change color from a pale blonde to a dark brown, almost black. Once it is exhausted, it can be regenerated with a solution of bleach and water. The bleach will literally “burn off” the organics that have been removed from the tank. Watch out for products that claim to be regenerable with a brine solution. That is the regeneration procedure for ion-exchange purposes. A brine solution will not remove organics. While such resins have a limited capacity for organic adsorption, a brine regeneration process only replaces removed ionic compounds. It does not destroy large organic molecules that were removed, which is the primary function of organic adsorption resins.
    Directions
    Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 1 L treats up to 4,000 L (1,000 gallons*) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.
    Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

18. Charl_Stanhope

How can I raise my ph safely? please if you could tell me how to raise it in my tank. for 128 l. im not sure what im using but i think they are
    <LI class=text1>Double 50/50 2x24W power compact <LI class=text1>Polished stainless steel reflector <LI class=text1>2 led moonlights
    Think my lights are crap though. glad I found this forum coz people around here in my town know nothing and the just wanna sell you anything

19. LikesFish

LikesFish

Raise your pH by doing four things:

1) Raise your alkalinity by using an alkalinity supplement (your alkalinity and Calcium are out of balance). This will help buffer your pH.
    2) To raise pH, open all the windows / doors in your house and ensure there are good surface agitation, that the skimmer's air intake is not clogged and that you get maximum exposure to the surrounding air.
    3) If you use a calcium reactor (do not recall seeing that mentioned) ensure it is not too heavy on the CO2.
    4) Try not to breathe for a couple of hours.

Best of luck.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  20. Charl_Stanhope

i only change the purigen when it gets dark in colour. Im not recharging although ive read that it is possible but it seems complicated and a bit of a risk. Im changing the charcoal often as well. Do I remove the bio balls all at once or should i do it one a week or so? also ive got 3 bags of ceramic rings. how do i remove the rings and how often? Im using ro/di water with natural sea water which i filter and than mix. I collect the water in a good spot and I didnt get the algae for the first 6-8 months.

21. Anemone

Anemone

+1

Recent Posts