Fish for Tanks

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Hudsonkzn, 30 Mar 2009.

1. Hudsonkzn

Hudsonkzn

Hey guys.

Im a real newbie, I just wanted to know if anyone here catches fish for their tanks, or do all of you buy them from Pet Stores?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I buy only from pet shops but a lot of the coastal guys catch some fish. BTW, welcom to MASA

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Some guys catch a few fish here and there, but you need to take out a permit first. You get one for marine fish collection and one for invertebrate collection, about R75 each.
    Please share more about your tank if you have one, if not, what do you have in mind? Read through my signature as there are some good info there for beginners. Ask here before bying anything as our advice is free and sadly some petshops sell outdated equipment and give wrong advice or not at all. Our sponsors are different though ;) - give them a call.
    Scuba will let you in on the reefclub, won't dare to interfere :whistling:

Happy learning :wave2:

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    on behalf of the durban reefclub i would like to extend an invite for you join us for our monthly meetings. we have one on the last thursday of every month. sorry the link will not show in my signature but if you browse in the forums section you should find it. pm me if you are interested:) enjoy your stay here
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Andreas

Andreas

Welcome to MASA Hudson.

There are a couple of guys here that collect fish in tidal pools or dive them out.Just ensure that you have a collection permit that you can buy at a post office for R75:)

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)
    I buy aswell as catch local fish for my tank. Just this weekend i caught a Pencil Surgeon and added him to my tank.

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome, only buying up on the gold reef :)

9. Hudsonkzn

Hudsonkzn Thread Starter

Show us a pic of him Mekaeel.

10. Hudsonkzn

Hudsonkzn Thread Starter

Hey guys

May I ask, how you guys manage to catch these fish? I mean the small fish you find in all the Rock Pools are easy, but I am refering to the more colourful ones that reside in the deeper pools.

I went snorkeling at Scottsburgh on the weekend, and I saw this really beautiful mustard yellow fish, with a circle above it's tail. It looked amazing. It was in a deep rock pool, and I couldn't get my head around how to catch this fish.

I tried following it, and using one of those hand nets but it was too quick.

Are there any special nets and tools or styles to catching these fish?

I'm definitely going to get my license this Saturday, I think half the fun of owning a marine aquarium is in getting all the fish on your own.

Cheers, oh and thanks a million guys for all the advise.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I dont have any at the moment. But when I snap some shots of my tank, I'll grab one of him ;)

Recent Posts