Fish for tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Marine4Life, 5 Aug 2008.

1. Marine4Life

Marine4Life

Hi All

I am very new to this hobby. I am currently having my tank built and in the process of setting up.

I am building a 1.2m x0.6m x0.6m tank.

I see that Mekaeel have the fish i want to keep in my tank, a sailfin tang, yellow tang and clown trigger. My question is will my tank size be ok to keep these 3 fish with some other small ones as i see he has those fish in his 1mx1mx0.6m new cube

What is everyones opinion?

Thanks
    Michael

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Marine4Life, welcome to MASA. My personal opinion is the tank you are planning will be too small for these fish esp the Clown Trigger that can grow into an awsum predator, some are lucky to get away with them not attacking other fish for others it ends in disaster. If you are wanting to keep predators please consider a larger system.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hey michael, welcome to masa, yellow tang is very territorial isnt it? I was by flohs the other day and the one there killed its inmate, seriously aggressive. Maybe skip it..?:razz:

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Micheal, it may help to know that Mekaeel is a very experienced fish keeper, one that knows and understands the risks of keeping certain fish together, i would say that you should start with simpler, hardy fish and learn how to look after them first, then progress to more difficult species.
    I recently saw a 14inch clown trigger in a local fish shop.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I think Mekaeel is just temporarily housing those fish until his bigger tank is up and running.

But yeah, definitely not a good idea to have tangs in a small tank.

7. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

I would but thats just me, i have a little experince in fish.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Michael - the problem with tangs, is that they require a huge amount of food, and secondly, a huge amount of swimming space.
    If they do not have these 2 things, they tend to either/and fight between each other, possibly killing each other off, and quite possibly get marine ich (white spot) which sometimes have a very bad result(either the fish itself, or other fish with it, dies)....

Keeping marines (JUST LIKE FRESH WATER) is ALL about getting a balance in your system. A balance between the amount of fish you keep, the sizes of the fish you keep, the amount you feed, the amount of exctrement the fish excreet, and the "exporting" and filtration mechanisms you have in place, in order to keep the water chemical parameters VERY LOW to ZERO.....

So - this translates into the following:
    - amount of water volume to enable you to dilute the chemicals resulting from the denitrification cycle
    - whether you have a HUGE HUGE skimmer
    - whether you have a DECENT sized DSB (deep sand bed)
    - whether you have an algae scrubber to allow and assist in nutrient export

9. geoffrey

geoffrey

i'm no expert but i've read up a lot about this and im sure 1 tang would be ok for that size system. maybe a small powder blue or a regal. but no more than 1. and then remember u cant have as many other fish at the same time. 4ft is minimum for 1 tang. i may be wrong

10. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

I would keep anywhere to 3-4 tangs thats because i would take small ones feed alot and i think you can keep more than one tang in that size tank.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)
    Yip the fish i currently have in my tank are fish that grow extremely large.
    At a later stage,i want to setup a larger tank to house all these guys,if not i will sell them.My foxface is going to have to go soon as he is gone too big for my system and bumps into my SPS and frags them.

PS.Did get your pm,sorry didnt reply,just been a bit hectic.

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

You could go for a small Bristletooth Tang and move along to a bigger tank when he is bigger.

13. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

welcometomasa
    Imo You could go with the Yellow tang but the other two would grow too big! What other fish would you like to have in your tank and do you want to go with a reef, FOWLER or fish only?

Recent Posts