fish for knut ove's 130l

Reaction score
hi guys,
Knut Ove has send me a possible shopping list from a LFS in oslo. its a 4 hour drive for him to get any LS so he wants to make sure he gets the right things for his tank. I send him a mail about what i thought would be right, but ive never kept a nano and thought you guys could give some input. I must say is very nice seeing a guy who doesnt do impulse buying!

Please add to this list if you can:)

Hi KnutJ
I had a look through the list of tank mates which are available at that shop in oslo, some stunning fish there (like an achilies tang!!!! Have a look at it when you go, I am fairly sure it will be very expensive and still there) but not that many fish suited to a nano. I found that a little strange as so many ppl have nano’s here. I am going to put together a list of things in an order of my personal presence, its more than you can buy in one go as you don’t want to put too much in, especially while still battling algae issues.

MASA guys and gals, please comment on any of the fish I have listed here if you have experience with them or if you think they wont be suited to a 130l nano!

Clowns
Due to the size of tank and the softer nature of common clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris) they would be my first choice. Get a pair, one much larger than the other, or better try buy them as a pair. ( I don’t know what “Norsk oppdrett’ or “Oppdrett TMC” means!)

Guys he could also get Premnas biaculeatus ( a pair of yellow eyed maroon clowns) or Amphiprion perideraion (skunk clowns). Would either of those be better in the 130l nano?

Salarias ramosus is a lawnmower blenny and a great looking fish. Excellent character and will suit the tank well. GET HIMJ

Ok you have a choice of Goby’s and of them all I think the Discordipinna griessingeri looks beautiful, stays small and would be a great little fish to have. I would pair them if you can.
Gobiodon okinawae or yellow goby would be my second choice, but quite a way back from the first.
Gobiodon histrio is a more aggressive little fish, territorial too and would be my third choice.

Nemateleotris magnifica or fire fish. Lovely tank mates, incredible colours and excellent for a nano. I am not sure how many you can keep, I should think about 4?

Oxycirrhitus typhus long nosed hawk fish. It’s a great fish, really is one of my favourites, but I would be scared to add one to a 130l, I just think he will be too big and when they grow up can enjoy live shrimp, so puts cleaners and the like at risk. A possible fish, IMHO J
Plectranthias inemis or high fin checker hawk, is not a fish I know anything about (any experience on masas with these?)

CUC (clean up crew)
Lysmata amboinensis cleaner shrimps I would look at getting twoJ small if you can and make sure you acclimatise very slowly, over at least 3 hours.
Thor amboinensis is what they call a sexy shrimp, but not what I know as a sexy shrimp. I see it as a high tailed shrimp from googling. Looks like a nice shrimp though, small and strange, but research him first, def an option thoughJ
Paguristes cadenati red legged dwarf hermits. I would get two, but you can get the blue legged or the Clibanarius tricolour, tricolour hermits but I think they get bigger.

Bispira guinensis or feather dusters would look good in the tank, maybe try for two or threeJ easy to keep and pretty.

Ophiolepis superba are serpent stars and I think too big for a nano. You would see weird legs sticking out and its probably not the best optionJ

I must say is very nice seeing a guy who doesnt do impulse buying!
When you are driving 4,5 hours to get fish it makes sense to do some "homework" before shopping :)

I am going to put together a list of things in an order of my personal presence, its more than you can buy in one go as you don’t want to put too much in, especially while still battling algae issues.

What is my limit here?:whistling: ..
I definetly want to go for the clowns

Clowns
Due to the size of tank and the softer nature of common clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris) they would be my first choice. Get a pair, one much larger than the other, or better try buy them as a pair. ( I don’t know what “Norsk oppdrett’ or “Oppdrett TMC” means!)
:iagree:
Norsk oppdrett means born in Norwegian tank, the best choice because they are tougher.

Guys he could also get Premnas biaculeatus ( a pair of yellow eyed maroon clowns) or Amphiprion perideraion (skunk clowns). Would either of hose be better in the 130l nano?

Do i have to chose here clowns or maroon clowns:suspicious:?

Salarias ramosus is a lawnmower blenny and a great looking fish. Excellent character and will suit the tank well. GET HIMJ

Yes Sir, will do:thumbup:

Ok you have a choice of Goby’s and of them all I think the Discordipinna griessingeri looks beautiful, stays small and would be a great little fish to have. I would pair them if you can.

It is now on my list.

Nemateleotris magnifica or fire fish. Lovely tank mates, incredible colours and excellent for a nano. I am not sure how many you can keep, I should think about 4?

I agree with you, google had some nice pictures. 4 it is:)

Oxycirrhitus typhus long nosed hawk fish. It’s a great fish, really is one of my favourites, but I would be scared to add one to a 130l, I just think he will be too big and when they grow up can enjoy live shrimp, so puts cleaners and the like at risk. A possible fish, IMHO J
Plectranthias inemis or high fin checker hawk, is not a fish I know anything about (any experience on masas with these?)

We dont want enyting feeding on expensive fish. :leph:

CUC (clean up crew)
Lysmata amboinensis cleaner shrimps I would look at getting twoJ small if you can and make sure you acclimatise very slowly, over at least 3 hours.
Thor amboinensis is what they call a sexy shrimp, but not what I know as a sexy shrimp. I see it as a high tailed shrimp from googling. Looks like a nice shrimp though, small and strange, but research him first, def an option thoughJ
Paguristes cadenati red legged dwarf hermits. I would get two, but you can get the blue legged or the Clibanarius tricolour, tricolour hermits but I think they get bigger.

Bispira guinensis or feather dusters would look good in the tank, maybe try for two or threeJ easy to keep and pretty.

Ophiolepis superba are serpent stars and I think too big for a nano. You would see weird legs sticking out and its probably not the best optionJ

I trust you on the CUC.
It would probebly be wice to get som ekstra turbo snail also, dont you think?
but how many??? got 4 in there now.

Here is the conclution:
2 clowns Amphiprion ocellaris
Salarias ramosus, lawnmower blenny
2 Goby’s, Discordipinna griessingeri
4 Nemateleotris magnifica, fire fish
2 Lysmata amboinensis, cleaner shrimps
Paguristes cadenati, red legged dwarf hermits
2 Bispira guinensis, feather dusters
4 turbo snails

Coral.
Euphylia, for the clowns

Phosfat remover, should i go for a reactor also?

Thanks a lot for helping me with this Crispin, you`r the man :thumbup:

And the rest of you, jump into the tread and give your advice.

Knut Ove

Thanks, just cant wait to go to the shop next weekend.
I think I will be just like a child in a candy store:)
To bad the prices in Norway is sooo high:(

Knut Ove

That why you should live in South Africa. To you it would be summer all year round :)

Yes it would, but i think that without winter (and spring) summer would not be the same.
Winter has its advantages also :)
it`s so much fun going out into the snow with kids and skiing etc

Greetings from Norway to you Warr7207:wave2:

You have a good point there, can't remember when last I saw snow, also can't remember when last we had sub-zero temps.

Back
Top Bottom