Fish for GHA

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Michell Theron, 11 May 2018.

1. Michell Theron

Michell Theron Love the Marine world

What the best fish to remove GHA, my blenny doing nothing, or must i get another one? I have lots of soft corals so nothing to eat them please.

2. Guest

3. Dexter

Dexter

how big is your tank?

4. OP
    Michell Theron

700 L

5. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

A sailfin tang is the way to go. Its a GHA killer, I have my 2nd one now, a fantastic fish.

You should also look into whats causing the GHA.

Last edited: 11 May 2018
  6. Adrian B

Adrian B

If you algae is already bad a army of Algae eaters probably won't help. Rather resolve the causes 1st, remove as much as you can by hand. Even better if you can remove the rocks and scrub them. All for naught though if you can't get a handle on your Nitrates and PO.

7. OP
    Michell Theron

hello, I just had to sell my sailfin now, out grow my tank. I am dosing the nopoc, and move the tank from the light rom it was in before. but sure fish will be better bet.

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

You can also try a foxface or Salarias fasciatus lawnmower blenny, but fish are a hit or a miss depending on individual ones.

9. OP
    Michell Theron

I am not a fan of foxface. I looking for the blenny

10. hotdog83

Else a sea hare, but it will starve once GHA is gone (same with lawnmower blenny, they rarely eat something other than GHA).

11. Cabrinha

Cabrinha

i had lawnmower blenny's in the past, they never ate long GHA in my tank.

r0ckf1re likes this.
  12. OP
    Michell Theron

i had the sea hare, and it was really almost all gone, and I sent him on to his next home, maybe I should get another one.

13. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Tuxedo urchins does a good job at eating algae.

14. RealReefer

RealReefer Real Reefer for Real Reefers

I would suggest a long hairy urchin. (Tripneustes gratilla). They are algae destroyers. Unlike tuxedos they can eat way more in a day. On the downside they like to pick up loose corals and move LR that is not properly secured.

Last edited: 15 May 2018
  15. Dexter

Dexter

If you had a seahare and it was almost gone....and now its back??? You fighting a losing battle trying to get fish. Rather try and find the cause...you going to waiste a lot of money buying fish and thr algae just keeps coming back

EFJ likes this.
  16. OP
    Michell Theron

I have a lot of small corals so that will not work for me , thank you for the advise.

17. Drk

Drk

Had a bad GHA for about a year tried fish, inverts anything that would help they only start eating until they are full and stop waiting for feeding time then. Taking it of by hand made it worse the small pieces float around and get stuck on other rocks and a week later a little hairy bush appear. Scrubbing the rock was a short period solution then it just started up again. Went built a algae scrubber did helped the GHA didn't got less but did'nt get more also. Then went back to the drawing board. Investigate on my nitrate and nitrite. Check it daily whats going on. Eventually check my food start giving less frozen foods more pellets and flakes. Siphon of all uneaten food everyday. Eventually with the min of food regular water changes the GHA starting to get less. I bought a denitrator and set it up in the sump six weeks later it actually started to die off and was rid of it. By checking all parameters constantly, water changes and minimal food I eventually got rid off GHA.

So my point is what did you do a period before it started, feeding, new rocks any changes in water like change of salt brand, dosing any hardware changes. It sounds stupid but check something have change in the system and have escalating the nitrates and nitrites in the system. Like everybody said check the parameters. Then start with problem mow the lawn and if you can get those rock out of the tank into a QT. it's better not to get the spores onto other rocks, my tank was a green fur ball. Do Regular water changes, get a algae scrubber in place, reduce your lights on times for a week or two.
    The rocks in QT no light (total darkness) it you can for at lease 2 weeks then you can scrub off and put in clean water (salt) for a week then put back in main tank.

Believe me it is not a one day fix.

EFJ likes this.
  18. OP
    Michell Theron

thank you

19. hotdog83

Great advice, algae issues are never an easy fix.

Michell Theron likes this.
  20. EFJ

EFJ Moderator MASA Contributor

The 3 main things to look at first when having GHA is 1)Not enough flow, 2)Lighting and 3)Overfeeding. Once you located the issue then the treatment comes. Believe me, even guys that have been long in this hobby have GHA issues. It comes and goes. Its all about finding that balance for your setup. For some guys Bio-pellets work and for others orca bio cubes and for others macro algae (cheato etc). There is plenty of different ways and treatments. We can guide you but in the end its what you find that works. Just remember more fish or other livestock to combat GHA at the end releases excess nutrients back in the system. You need something to aid in removing the excess nutrients from the tank. Goodluck and we are here to help you.

Michell Theron likes this.
  21. red pepper

red pepper

long spiny urchin, machines to clear excess GHA. And gentle. put a few in and reduce once under control.

Michell Theron and jclaas like this.

Recent Posts