Fish Food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Madreefer, 19 Nov 2008.

1. Madreefer

Madreefer

1 Bag of Raw Frozen Prawn Tails
    1 Bag of Raw Frozen Clam Meat
    1 Bag of Raw Frozen Squid Pieces
    1 Bag of Raw Frozen Scallops
    1 Bag of Frozen Silversides
    1 Bag of Frozen Bloodworms
    1 Bag of Dried Seaweed
    4tbs of Garlic Juice

You will need a food processor for this. All food must be raw and frozen. I did it in small batches as it unthaws quickly and it is alot easier if it is in small pieces rather than a paste. ie:chopped up the prawns, put back in the freezer
    chopped up the clams, put back in the freezer
    once eveything is chopped up and still good and frozen I then mix all of the ingrediants together. You don't have to use everything on my list, it is just a guideline. And of course keep stored in your freezer.As for size of the bags this stuff comes in my bags are 350-500 gram sizes. I serve this to my fish every second day. I have a small container that is used only for the fish. I use water only from the tank and put 1 heaping tsp in it, when it is all thawed I just pour the container in. My fish love it and other peoples who use this recipe do as well. It is all natural and has all the nutrients they need. For the garlic juice I buy it from health food stores. If your wondering about the benefits of garlic, it builds up the immune system, helps with diseases such as ich and also stimulates the fishes appetite. This recipe will save you money as well.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Punk

Punk

awesome thanks for the recipe dude! :thumbup:

(sorry off topic)
    ps. is it good for tangs to eat non-vegetable matter? i know from keeping malawi's they're not supposed to eat protein otherwise they get bloat & could die from it...

4. Madreefer

Madreefer Thread Starter

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nice recipe Madreefer!
    Mines is Hake, Mussels, calamari, Nori and Garlic. Chuck it all into a blender and then pour it into a icetray and place in freezer. When it's time to feed, I place block into a teastrainer and allow it to defrost and let the excess water out, thereafter add slowly to the tank.
    Havent made the recipe in about a year though.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The juice of thawed frozen food fuels nuisance algae - I would not recommend putting it in your tank, rather thaw the frozen food in cold RO water and drain the water off. Only add the food, throw away the water ;)

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Exactly the reason why I defrost mines in a tea strainer.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - do you know if it is proven that if you make your own (DIY) fish-food, that the juice STILL fuels nuisance algae?

9. crispin

crispin

which in turn goes to feed my tangs....so alls good:)

10. Raven

Raven

I'm just wondering - won't that juice contains alot of "food" for some of your filter feeders and corals?
    Because in that juice you will see very small pieces of fish/shrimp/nori/what ever, and because the food is soaked in the water alot of valueble nutrients are now in the water...(not so?)
    So won't this help some corals?

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yeah it might, and some nuisance algae too.

12. Madreefer

Madreefer Thread Starter

Sorry I was'nt trying to start a debate. I've been using this recipe for 3 years now and so has alot of other people that I know use it. So I'm taking 1 cup of water out of a 700L system, putting a tsp of food in it and putting it back in to the system. That little amount of juice that is added is going to create nuisance algae? I must have too many filter feeders. Now I am wondering who is feeding the filter feeders and corals when I'm not looking. Maybe I should go out and buy some kind of chemical from LFS to feed them. I've never added anything like that before. Should I Start?
    [​IMG]
    He likes it!

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Just remember the advice I gave in my post is not nessecarily meant just for you. Yes I agree that in a 700l system it shouldn't have an impact, but for a newbie with a 60l nano it will create a lot of problems in his system. That advice was given by Anthony Calfo in his book Reef Invertebrates, so I'm simply carrying it over to everyone who didn't know that ;)

14. jacquesb

MadReefer - no problems man! It's just that I believe VERY strongly that the BOUGHT prepared frozen foods indeed contains phosphates - BUT, I ALSO STRONGLY FEEL that the DIY frozen foods DOES NOT.....

BUT - I would just like to know if it has been proven that the DIY "juice" contains phosphates?

I agree with you Raven - the juices does indeed contain a LOT of food for the filter feeders!

Tobes - I understand where you coming from - THAT's WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION. There's the "age old belief" that "all frozen foods" should be strained.... but this was BEFORE the advent of DIY making fish food, which does not contain a WHOLE lot of additives!

I have been using DIY made frozen seafood mix food for the past 3 years.... and after I beat my algae problems, I actually had a VERY LOW nutrient levels in my tank, even though I fed my fish my seafood mix, WITHOUT straining the juices........
    I had to start OVERFEEDING my tank just to raise my nitrate levels, that my soft-corals would start to grow!!!!

15. jacquesb

Punk - all tangs adapt (their intestines adapt too) to eating some form of meaty foods...... BUT - they STILL NEED vegetable matter as well....... Nearly ALL reefers have tangs that eat meaty foods.....

16. Madreefer

Madreefer Thread Starter

I'm sorry but after doing some research on this debate. I have found no answer to that. There is 9 other people including myself who use this recipe. We do not have any nuisance algae problems. I have used it for 3 years and the others for 2. I would say that is some pretty good hands on experience to back that up. The recipe is all natural there is no perservatives. That can't be said for store bought. The very small amount that comes from the unthawing will be good for the filter feeders. You will have to feed according to your tank size and the livestock. I used my serving size as an example. I put this recipe up here to help people save money and I think it is very nutritous. Not for a debate. I'm speaking from hands on experience and not a book. I guess just cause it works for me (and 8 others) does'nt mean that it will work for you. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK:beatdeadhorse5:

17. jacquesb

No problems at all MadReefer! No problems at all! ;)

Thanks for confirming this for me.... I do not think that ANYONE can prove that self made DIY frozen food does indeed contain ANY phosphates.....

BUT - it is indeed well known that store-bought/commercial frozen foods does indeed.........

And thanks for sharing YOUR recipe with us!

Here's mine:
    1 bag Freshly Frozen Marine Seafood mix
    1 bag freshly frozen mussel meat
    1 bag pink shrimps

Also blended in a blender - I blend mine for plus-minus 30 minutes or so - I prefer to have mine VERY VERY fine.... that I can indeed feed my inverts too! ;)

Cheers mate!

18. Tom

Tom

Thanks for the info guys. :)

19. Tom

Tom

Can i thicken the food with Gelatin powder? I see it has Sulphur Dioxide as preservative.

Recent Posts