fish food and it's nutrition

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 4 Jan 2010.

1. magman

magman

what is the fish food to feed with regards to it's nutrion or advantages.

I know bloodworm is not too nutrional, but I have found for new caught fish it gets them taking to frozen the best, when they on frozen and know the feeding regime, then I change.
    Then there is brine that is only nutritional in the first 24 hours of hatching, then howcome artemia is so popular with all of us. Is it because of what the artemia was fed prior to freezing

I feed a big mix, flakes, pacific krill, artemia, live brine, red plankton, bloodworm, nori, muscles, grated crayfish, My fish are all active and very fat with good flow in the tank, but I want to improve their nutrition and maybe feed smaller portions. Whats your view on food and it's nutrition.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

bump.............none of you gurus feed your fish

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You are feeding a nice mixture there and if you say your fish are all fat and healthy then you shouldn't have any concerns. Perhaps add some frozen mysis in there. You can also buy vitamin supplements that you can mix in with your food.

I think the reason why frozen brine shrimp is so popular is that just about any fish will eat it without hesitation, some of the frozen mixes are enriched with things like spirulina and Omega 3 and 6 oils, but they seem to be hard to get hold of in SA.

5. dv8

dv8

i also mix my own food, would you guy's have any good recipe? mine has hake,muscle,schrimp,garlic,and nori, oh, also some phyto plancton

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

How you mix the nori in, just put it in dry, my nori I roll into tight tubes and thread it through a piece of lr, then the fish nip on it till the yellow tang comes and rips it all apart.

7. Adee

Adee

Nori, frozen mysis and small krill...now and then dip the lot in a vitamin liquid. Omega one garlic pellets on autofeeder 5 times a day when i'm at work.

8. dv8

dv8

the nori i cut up into pieces and mix with the other stuf, sometimes if i want to give them something to nible on i just place a bit between the magnetic glass cleaner and the glass so that most of it is kinda like a flag in the "wind" sometimes i add liquifry marine and trase elements into the mix too

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

10. dv8

dv8

interesting read warr, any sugestions on supliments?garlic?"vitamins"

11. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

In my opinion is spirulina the most important ingredient.
    Spirulina is a micro algae. But it is surprising what this algae contains.

Spirulina contains between 60 and 70% protein.
    Further, 8 various essential amino acids, plenty of non essential amino acids,
    vitamin A, E, B1, B2, B6, B12, K and folic acids.
    Minerals like calcium, magnesium, pottasium, iron, zinc, etc.
    Also a lot of various carotenoids.

If I read the ingredients of spirulina, I would not be surprised if any creature would survive with only spirulina as their diet.
    I raised quite a few clowns, but they never eat like they could. Since I added spirulina to their diet, I have round clowns in my grow out.
    And now they grow much faster. Something in the spirulina makes the food more attractive, must be the smell.

Phytoplankton is very poor nutrition, compare to spirulina . Spirulina is easy available as powder and not expensive.

12. dv8

dv8

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

LuckyFish, I am looking into the spirulina, sounds brilliant and I have heard very good things about it but never with regards to fish. How do you feed it to your fish? Do you gut load rotifer with it or feed direct to clowns? Also do you know where I could source rotifer and spirulina?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree, you guys need to start shouting at your LFS's and get them to shout at the importers to get them to start importing other foods such as these:-

My fish go moggy for this stuff. My feeding regime consists of 2 feeds per day consisting of 3 blocks of frozen foods, 1 Brineshrimp and spirulina, 1 brineshrimp and omega 3's, 1 mysis shrimp. That is 6 blocks of frozen foods a day and my fish, regal tang, copperband, foxface etc. etc. are all super fat and healthy. They also get some nori 3 times a week.

14. shane

shane

Who stocks this spirulina algae?
    Is it added with the fish food or can it be added directly into the tank on it's own?
    Cheers

15. dv8

dv8

thats what i want to know too

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

17. LuckyFish

Sorry, I was mistaken. You are right, it is cyanobacterium. Donkey years ago, Spirulina was called blue algae.
    I mix it into my homemade food for broodstock and growout. The interesting part is, when you mix it, the food turns into a dark green. Spirulina is dark green, but after the food is defrosted, a blue juice is running out. Probably that´s why it was called blue algae.

Regarding the availability of rotifer, many people asked me at the IMACSA to start selling rotifer. Right now it is impossible for me, but as soon as the new hatchery is build, I could supply rotifer all over the country. Until then, it is tricky to get rotifer.

I never tried to enrich rotifer with spirulina, but it will work. I grew my brine shrimps out, while I was still in Germany, with the use of spirulina. I have to take a closer look into the ingredients of spirulina, if it is suitable for fish larvae, because of the required fatty acid profile. I guess, a mix of different enrichments could bring better results.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Marcel. When you hatch your brine do you feed yeast and Spirulina?

19. LuckyFish

Keith, I feed them with DHA Selco and astaxanthin. I think I am going to mix also spirulina into the enrichment.
    With yeast can can grow rotifer and brines, but the nutrition value of prey fed with yeast is next to nothing.
    The key to grow out brines in quantity, is oxygen. The easiest way to do it is with nannochloropsis.

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Marcel. Would you be kind enough to start a thread on Breading and raising Brine if you dont mind. It sounds like a very interesting subject. I went into the details many many years ago and have forgotten most things.

:please:

21. LuckyFish

Okay, I will post it in the breeding forum. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.
    You have asked so nicely.;)

Recent Posts