fish farming

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by leslie hempel, 12 Apr 2009.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hey guys

i am investigating the idea of starting a fish farm, the idea will be to farm fish for human consumption as there is heavy pressure on our oceans to produce the monthly quotas harvested by the fishing industry. i am at a loss as to where to start though. anyone who knows of someone involved in this indutry please let me konw as i will be very interested to investigate the possibility of going into this indusry..

i have e-mailed all the people i know and am waiting on their reply..

any help will be appreciated..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fishwife

Fishwife

Hi

Know, someone that was very involved with the Government Projects, we actually built the dams, so please let me know if you are interested is doing something like that. Will send you all the info

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thank you, please i will be ever so grateful, i am on the net trying to establish the market demand and situation and have read only positive comments stating the need for something like this.. will pm you my e-mail addy now..

5. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Leslie

get in touch with these guys...very helpfull bunch the last time i spoke to them

www.aasa-aqua.co.za/

what are you planning on farming , i know due to certain species invading our rivers restrictions have been placed on what you are allowed to farm with , where etc.

as far as market demand goes, my experience / know how about the industry is that there are a few different markets you could explore from talipa (some restrictions on them though), prawns (someone is actually busy putting up a plant in gauteng !), trout for tourism etc etc.

also have a chat to dept of agriculture (good luck though) there are grants available. If you need help in terms of setup equipment etc...give me a shout

6. leslie hempel

Talapia are the first thing we want to master but will then move to cob as i was busy with this before.. the idea is to maltitask the farm to achieve maximum yield potential EG: the better water supply to the more delicate species and the hardier towoard the end.. this way you could focus on abalone cob prawns and have things like mussels and oysters where more nutrients are required.. shot for the info..

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The only thing is you will have to go very big or it will be a waste of time and money, small projects will not be viable.

8. FransSny

FransSny

leslie, i will speak to a friend...he was involved in a project that is 100 % self sustained ie. fish are held in dams, waste is filtered by (speaking under correction but if i remember correctly) mussels / oysters, then algea canals again feeding other fish. theres also a biogas catchment dam powering pumps etc.

was a very cool idea ...wil see if i can get a copy of the plans / layout

9. FransSny

FransSny

agreed with shaun...BUT depending on your initial market you can start small. what i mean is even the informal chicken farmer selling to the local spaza makes his bucks, it will just take much longer recovering your input capital. In general it is quite expensive anyway and does take longer than most other types of farming before you will start showing a profit...

but leslie please dont be put off by my comment...i just have some exp (not an expert at all) if I had the space I would go for it as this is one of the only ways to ensure sustainable food sources and ensure the sea is still there for our kids !

PS Leslie im sending you a pm

10. leslie hempel

cool dude thanks for the responses and help, this is only the tip of the iceberg with things like coral farming being my real passion but i need to start small and climb the ladder to get to the stuff i really want to do.. i have always wanted to be involved with something to do with the ocean and in particular something that will allow me to contribute and actually do something worthwhile with my limited time on this planet. the longer i take to get started the quicker life passes you by so im starting small..

11. crispin

crispin

hey les:)

do you still have the details i send you before?

if not i can send again. Go on fella, its the one day trip you WANT to do, i promise :)

Oh fransy pm me the name of your friend would ya, ive been to that place a few times, indeed I did the organic inspection there :)

12. FransSny

FransSny

cool guys seems we have a lot of people able/willing to help....les ...if u are serios this will only go places

Crispin ...will pm u

13. Tony

Tony

Les. Prawns are already being aquacultured along with oysters, mussels, abalone and a ton of freshwater fish like trout, salmon (overseas) and salmon trout. The seawater fish brings a whole new ball game as I think a ton of space is needed to rear these guys to maturity. I'm sure it's already being done.

14. FransSny

FransSny

Tony not sure bout SW but you actually need very little space before you are able to bring the fish to the market...once again , depends on what your plans are ?

15. leslie hempel

i have worked at an ablone farm so know a fair amount about that trade and was involved with the first captive raised cob at global ocean a few years ago so im well aware of the potential, i actually helped design the farm here in the E.L. IDZ called seatek abalone but the owners were dodgy.. so left and the susequently sold the place.. its the money matters that im needing to brush up on.. but i do appreciate any assistance i can get.. i will be trying to call a mate of mine who works at a farm in port alfred (cob farm) i just found that people close up to you when they find out you wanting to do somrthing they are doing..

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hiha Leslie - have a look on this web-site as well. You SHOULD get a HUGE amount of info from here.
    Aquaculture, Fish Farming Information - Portal for aquaculture and fish farming : TheFishSite.com

Your 4 MAIN hurdles, as far as I see it, would be:
    - getting land, to build "fish ponds"
    - getting import permits, funds and a reliable source, for brooding stock
    - the actual investment money, to build the "farm"
    - getting people to "buy in" and invest/sponsor/buy from you.... (marketing)

Recent Posts