Urgent help needed fish dying !!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fredo, 1 Oct 2011.

1. Fredo

Fredo

Hi guys,
    I bought a bicolour angel last week, from a reputable LFS, it unfortunately didn't make its first night, dont know why, my tanks been running for 3 years, lots of swimming and hiding spots, parameters in check, i dripped the fish slowly for about 3 hours in low\dark light, (sump), after lights out in DT, I transferred it to the DT, and then found it dead the next morning, okay but since then, iv had 2 other long established fish, die also. could it be related, the other 2 fish didnt look sick, could the angel have brought in something, Oh i also bought a Bubble coral the same day, all my coral is doing great, please any recommendation to prevent more death, help pls

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry for the losses, please post water parameters and symptoms of what the fish were struggeling with or are all the deaths suddenly at night?

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

if it happens at night and your fish shows no signs of being sick its possible that you may have a crab or something hiding that comes out at night that attacks sleeping fish. The fish you bought might have been a bit weak,stressed and that something couldve attacked the fish. Did the bubble coral come on a piece of live rock? as Alan said,please give us your water parameters.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

over what period did the 3 fish die? (proximity to one another as in timeline) and what are your readings specifically alk and ph..

ph swings can cause low oxygen levels and bigger fish will succumb to these low oxygen levels quickly..

so it is important to test Ph early in the morning for a true reading as it dips at night..

but more info on the system may help us in picking up something that you may not even be considering to be a probl.

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Dripping fish for 3 hours could be the problem. I have never dripped a fish for longer that 45mins and have never lost a fish due to acclimatisation.

7. Achilles

Achilles

i agree dripping for 3 hours is only advisable if it came from very varying salinities from your main tank

Bicolor angels are very difficult even though they are often available, very few thrive in captivity, many are improperly collected as well. Always make sure it is eating before you buy it and beware of this species as they require expert care in many cases.

The longest i have kept a Bicolor was 6 years and this is not good when you consider other centropyge can live for 20 years plus.

The vast majority dont live past 1 year, they are the moorish idol of centropyge in my opinion.

The fact that 2 other fish have died means something is likely brought in by the bicolor or the coral that your introduced maybe oodinium? did you see any symptoms of disease? Fast breathing(rapid gill movements) usually the first sign something is wrong?

Last edited: 1 Oct 2011
  8. Fredo

Fredo Thread Starter

Thanx for the help guys

Sal 1.022, bit low
    PH 8.2
    No3 0
    Cal 480
    Temp 23 - 27
    300 L system

Bubble didnt come on LR
    1 fish waited for me to come home, as if to say good buy, and then 10 min later he died, okay it was a Mono Angel, (u know the fresh, brackish water one) it was the fish that started my tank 3 years ago, she was very pale and looking, well, very pale, cud see immediately she wasnt well, the other chromis, 1 of 3, died over night, them 2 died 2 days apart
    cud aptasia kill a chromis? could he just have been the outsider, could mono just have been old
    but what if another 1 goes,
    what else can i tell u, salinity too low, temp too big flactuation
    what u guys think

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Salinity is a bit low, although not critical, but do try and get it up to the normal range of 1.024 to 1.026.

Your temperature fluctuation is a big concern, why does the temp drop to 23, do you not have a heater in the tank?

I have never heard of aiptasia killing a fish, unless it ingests it accidentally.

10. flappy

flappy

My advice would be QT everything wet including corals going forward.
    Bi colors are tough to acclimate to aquarium life
    What are your Ammonia and Nitrite levels?

Fredo likes this.
  11. Fredo

Fredo Thread Starter

yes the temp thing, 1 day its sunny outside and temp ranges from 24 to 27.5 got MH obviously contributes a lot, so i put heaters off, then the next day its cloudy and cold and it drops to 23, must i just leave the heater/ or heaters on and on what temp?

12. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I would just leave the heaters on. They will switch off when they reach the maximum temp you have set it on.ex They wont heat the water to 30 degrees if you set it on 25.it will switch off when on 25. You gain nothing by switching off your heaters. By leaving them on you will not have the big drop in temp.

Fredo likes this.
  13. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

:iagree:

Fredo likes this.
  14. Fredo

Fredo Thread Starter

Thank you guys, will do.

Recent Posts