Fish Dying

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Slims, 29 Jan 2010.

1. Slims

Slims

Hi Guys

I've lost my Naso and Powder blue in the last couple of days for no apparent reason. They were'nt feeding too well so i suspected that had something to do with it. Now my Regal , who has been feeding well is also showing signs of ill health. He's scratching his body against the rocks and is not as active as normal. I've noticed tiny pimples on the Regals body with a slight white spot. I've tried taking a picture but its not visible on the photos. Any Advice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

Sorry! Should also mention that I've checked water params and all is fine.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Slims - what has changed in your tank? Something MUST have started this.

The fish sounds like they were stressed, because they were not eating well.

Can you still post your water parameters (the exact parameters) for us?

Did your tank's water temp increase all of a sudden perhaps? Did you have a power failure?

Did someone perhaps clean the furniture close to the tank, with some type of domestic cleaner?

Did someone perhaps spray to kill some insects close to the tank, perhaps? (ie. sprayed Doom, RAID or something similar?)

What changed? Did you perhaps add a new fish to the tank?

Did you perhaps put your hands in the tank, to clean the tank, in the past few days?

Please let us know......

I would want to suggest placing an airstone/airline connected to an airstone in the tank.

Try and dose some iodine (which might kill off possibly pathogens in the water)....

Raise your alkalinity to ie. 11/12

Increase the water temperature to +-26/27 degrees.... (but monitor this).

VERY slowly drop the salinity to ie. 1.022 (not lower if you have corals/inverts in the tank)......

ANY changes that you do - please do it very slowly.....

Good luck.... Hope the fish pulls through.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Thats whitespot... If your fish are eating then you should be fine. If they not. Then i would be worried.

My regal had the same and now my Powder Blue. Its an art to keep calm let me tell you about that! Do one thing at a time!!! Dont stress the fish either. I think try getting him to eat. Try everything. Nori, Flakes Pellets Live Food etc.

6. jacquesb

Oh yes - another way of keeping stress off a fish - reduce your lighting time....

7. vatso

vatso

will fish just get white spot? if a tank has never had it before?

8. crispin

crispin

sorry to hear of your losses, its always hard to loose fish, especially beautiful ones like PB and naso tangs.

How long has the tank been running for, is your water stable or is it still a little new and maybe slight swings in the parameters?

it does sound like you lost both those fish to white spot and both the naso and Powder Blue tang are unfortuantly known to be very prone to getting white spot.

try do what jb has suggested above and definetley try keep them feeding.

also look up on white spot but do not medicate your tank with any copper based medication .

9. jacquesb

Vatso - whitespot (marine ich) is sometimes introduced by either corals (the ich cysts could be hiding between the corals and the rock, or in the tiny holes in the rock), or by new fish which might be carrying the cysts.....

Or perhaps in the water from a source who might have had ich at some stage.... It is not advisable to add the water from your LFS, or from another reefkeeper (unless you know that the reefkeeper definitely do no have ich in his water) to your tank, when you add new corals/frags and/or fish to your tank.

10. vatso

vatso

That's sort of just it in a sense if we have everything added at once it sort of reduces the risk!! is there a way we can treat fish & corals before entering them in the tank?

I have only ever lost one thing & that was a snail was dead in 24 hrs of putting it in the tank

11. Sentari

Sentari

A fish bought from a LFS might have had it at some stage and you didnt notice it.

Remember whitespot (ICH) has a life cycle.

Something that helped me understand it.

Lifecycle
    This parasite has a life cycle that has four stages. When the parasite is embedded in the skin of a fish it is called the trophont stage. Here it appears as a distinct white spot about 1-2mm across (around the size of a grain of salt). The parasite has bored inside the tissues of the fish (it is not on the skin’s surface) and is hemispherical in shape and covered with minute cilia. The parasite rotates inside the capsule it makes in the fishes skin tissues and, it is said, this movement contributes to irritation the parasite causes and the fish often flick against hard surfaces in an attempt to knock this parasite off. In severe infections this flicking can cause additional damage to the fish’s skin. During this stage the parasite is feeding on the host building up its nutritional reserves ready to break out of the skin and start the next stage of the life cycle as a free living trophont. The free living trophont always exits the host at night and has one goal in life - to find a suitable substrate to encyst into the theront. A suitable substrate can be the sand at the bottom of the tank, detritus in a filter or even the surface of living rock. If it does not find a suitable place to form the cyst within 3-4 hours it usually dies.

After about a week as the tomont about 200 infective theronts will have formed within the tomont. The tomont then ruptures releasing the theronts back into the water column where they seek a host. The theronts are attracted by light and move up the water column looking for a susceptible host to infect. After release the theronts are infective for about 24 hours.

[​IMG]

12. jacquesb

That's why a quarantine tank is actually so important to have..... but unfortunately, so very few of us actually have them.

13. vatso

vatso

My Blennie keeps rubbing against one rock on it one side could this be cause of concern?

I don't see any white spot at all!

Thanks
    Mark

14. jacquesb

No - don't worry too quickly, Vatso.... no use being too paranoid! ;)

15. vatso

vatso

I see dead people... oops fish LOL

I am going to use my old tank as a hospital / quarantine tank

16. Suhayl

Suhayl

Get someone with a hospital tank and treat the fish. When there is problems I always do big water changes but no more than 20% at a time. That will help if there is problems with the tank.

Recent Posts