fish collection

Reaction score
hi guys.are you allowed to dive off south pier in durban on the bay side?:pthanks

Not at the end of the pier.at the bigening.there is an open area there.along the wall.its not actually on the pier

Last edited:
Not too sure about that.but I see people spear fishing along the pier all the time

you can dive the north and south breakwaters but not in the channel ie you ca dive the ushaka side of the north breakwater and the bluff side of the south breakwater but not between them unless you whant to get on the wrong side of the port captain and maby get sucked up and diced by an incoming ship

o and you cant go onto the beach on the south side without a permit and arnt alowed to swim across the harbour entrance so if you going to the south side you need a boat

nd arnt alowed to swim across the harbour entrance

And if you did you would get eaten by a boat propeller or a Zambezi...

I parked at island view yesterday and took the train.went to see the place.never been there for years.saw some awesome specimans by just looking from the top

im ok with the zambies and tigers its the boaters I worry about alot of them are a special kind of idiot that dont observe diver down flags

takling about this area I think we need to contact the athaurities with regard colecting all the sps ect from the area before they start the point development otherwise its going to get covered in concreate anyway.
I saw some nice acro's around there a few weeks back.

I know they alowed members of the botanical society to go in and take cycads and stuff before they started filling jozini dam as they all would have been covered and killed anyway maby we can motivate this here to at least preserve some specimens

Yes I have also seen a lot of sps there.which will soon be killed due to renovations.

takling about this area I think we need to contact the athaurities with regard colecting all the sps ect from the area before they start the point development otherwise its going to get covered in concreate anyway.
I saw some nice acro's around there a few weeks back.

I know they alowed members of the botanical society to go in and take cycads and stuff before they started filling jozini dam as they all would have been covered and killed anyway maby we can motivate this here to at least preserve some specimens
This is a hot debate bud!!
I have the same issues down south with all the sps and lps that grows year round in some tidal pools then all gets drained and scraped off then chemicals are added to kill anything after the first fill:(
We need a special Documented VIP pass for this beuracratic mumbo jumbo...
Might actually save some species!

Same thing happens when they pump sand onto Vetchies. Killed hundreds of colonies a few months ago. On the other hand it's Pocillopora with the odd Acropora, so not exactly rare or slow growing species.

just not sure who to contact about it

there is a lot of fish there unfortunately not easy to catch as they duck down between the dolose where I dont sugest you go as it is easy to get stuck there. a lot of hawk fish coachmen lions and convicts

Back
Top Bottom