Fish behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Annoying, 22 Nov 2009.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

Just the other day I watched a story on national geographic about zoo animals that have been neglected in the old days... The interesting thing is that the animals with to small cages and little or no enrichment did the same action over and over and over, like running down the fence and back for 6 hours. I'm just curious but wouldn't this bevior also work in the aquarium like if the fish isn't happy he would swim up and down the glass for hours? If this is true then maybe it's a good way to see how happy your fish really is in an aquarium. I think this is true because I had a powder blue tang in a 180 litre tang to let him grow for my 700 litre display. He was in the tank for 5 months and always when I came into the room he would swim under the rocks and sircle back to the glass and swim under the rocks again and so on and so on, but when I added him to the big tank he swam totaly differant and never repeated an action...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Quite possible I suppose, I reckon any animal, or person for that matter, that is confined to a small space would end up going mad and do weird things.

4. Dlaria

Dlaria

I think you are very right.

I just posted this on another thread...

Regal blue tang is so sad....

Just got him today. Think this is his first time in a tank with fish not his own kind.

He's so scared. He spazzed out swimming up and down the side glass trying to get to his reflection, I finally turned off the light. He was wearing himself out. He then wedged himself behind the heater and is just hiding there. It's like having a scared little kid away at camp for the first time.

I feel so bad for him. :(

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I think the size of the enclosure makes a huge difference. I have only small reef fish in my tank. 2 x Banghai Cardinals, 2 x Clowns, 3 x Blue Chromus and 1 x large mouthed Goby. I have a 220lt tank :thumbup:

I never see my fish even near the glass but rather swimming in and out of the live rock. I guess when you first get fish they do freak out a little. Usually after a good nights sleep in their new tank they chill out :whistling:

6. Tony

Tony

I think fish swim up and down the glass because of their reflection. They are either seeing the reflection as another fish/companion or an aggressor/challenger. My regal tang and foxface do it sometimes but my smaller fish just swim around and do their thing

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i provide plenty of hiding places so its as natural as possible, caves, overhangs, complete voids etc, i think the more palagic your fish the more it would affect them, but clowns and damsels which are total reef dwellers and territorial "feel" it less.

i also have as mad a flow and surge etc so that they have to change swimming direction like in the ocean

8. Mc

Mc

Maybe my clown is not the brightest, but he is in 140L with a blennie, and he really doesn't swim around much just stays in one of the corners most the day and ocasianally swims up and down the glass, only time he goes near the reef is when I feed him.

9. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

My trimma goby must be very happy in my nano, he never moves from his spot on the gravel!
    ;)

Recent Posts