Fish and Sea stars out of rock pools

All fish survived

Hi there ppl.

Just wana say that all the fish i collected on vryday and saterday morning survived.
I collected 5 convict tangs. 4 about the same size and one alot smaler.

Also collected a mud hopper. Nise big one.
And two sea urchins.
Im worried about the one. Dont know i his gona make it.
His loseing his spikes but it looks like theres new ones. And his spikes are still moving.

Heres some pics.
41594d60dd04bdffe.jpg

41594d60dd1f74ad8.jpg

What do you think about the urchin ppl?
41594d60dd48b42a7.jpg

41594d60dd63559fe.jpg

Some smaler polops. Starting to look beter. The one on the right still dont wanna open up.
41594d60dd9d1867a.jpg

Some green zoas. But dont know if they dying or not. What is that white on them?
41594d60dde20c9c5.jpg

One of two big peices of polops. Starting to look mutch beter that this pic.
What are those anemoan look alikes on the left of the polops?
41594d60de304af16.jpg

My mud hopper. Nice and big
41594d60de56ed936.jpg

The convicts are a bit shy.
hidding from the camera. hehe
41594d60de8035040.jpg

What do you think ppl?

Cw out:thumbup:

Hey, thats good news CW, happy they all alive and kicking, the white on the zoas not cool, it's a fungi that affects them, do you have an Iodine dip you could dip it in? suggested you do that for all the zoas, the urchin im not sure, if you dont have an iodine dip, you can rinse it in fresh water, altho I heard sometimes it works and sometimes it kills the zoas, so at your own risk...

Hey, thats good news CW, happy they all alive and kicking, the white on the zoas not cool, it's a fungi that affects them, do you have an Iodine dip you could dip it in? suggested you do that for all the zoas, the urchin im not sure, if you dont have an iodine dip, you can rinse it in fresh water, altho I heard sometimes it works and sometimes it kills the zoas, so at your own risk...

Hi there.
Ja im happy the fish are ok.

Well ill rinse them with RO water and see what hapens.

Thanx man.

I just rinsed them in Ro but they stink like hel man.
So i chuked them. I still have one that doesnt have any fungus on.
So i hope his ok.

I just rinsed them in Ro but they stink like hel man.
So i chuked them. I still have one that doesnt have any fungus on.
So i hope his ok.

Yup the stink is sign of dying... you can also give the good one a rinse as well and keep it in medium to high flow area... becasue the fungi could spread...

Yup the stink is sign of dying... you can also give the good one a rinse as well and keep it in medium to high flow area... becasue the fungi could spread...

Well this one thats left had blown under the egg grating in yesterday and i couldent get it out. It was far away from the other with the fungus on.

Cw out

Man if you come home with an extra Convict or two please please lemme know. Been looking for a local one for a while now.

Man if you come home with an extra Convict or two please please lemme know. Been looking for a local one for a while now.

Hey man.
Ive got 4 big ones ond one small one.
My brother is still in Durbs and he might get me more small ones.
Then i might wana swap 2 or 4 of them for any other fish or coral.

Will you be interested in that?
I just wana swap them for other fish i dont have in my tank yet or like i said any coral i dont have yet.

What do you think about that?

IM NOT GONA SELL THEM.
Cos i collected them for free. Only swap.

Hey man.
Ive got 4 big ones ond one small one.
My brother is still in Durbs and he might get me more small ones.
Then i might wana swap 2 or 4 of them for any other fish or coral.

Will you be interested in that?
I just wana swap them for other fish i dont have in my tank yet or like i said any coral i dont have yet.

What do you think about that?

IM NOT GONA SELL THEM.
Cos i collected them for free. Only swap.

Cool man lemme know if either they don't have enough space, etc or your bro can bring some more. I really wouldn't mind giving you fish if I had extra. I'm busy collecting for my 6-foot setup, so it's going to be quite some time before I have anything excess to trade.

Dis you know that apparently the convic tangs are a "schooling" type (given a large enough tank), so you might not even need to get rid of them unless you don't fancy a school of them in your tank or it's too small, etc.

Also want to mention though that one's not allowed to trade (ie buy, sell or swop) any locally collected specimens. :whistling:

Cool man lemme know if either they don't have enough space, etc or your bro can bring some more. I really wouldn't mind giving you fish if I had extra. I'm busy collecting for my 6-foot setup, so it's going to be quite some time before I have anything excess to trade.

Dis you know that apparently the convic tangs are a "schooling" type (given a large enough tank), so you might not even need to get rid of them unless you don't fancy a school of them in your tank or it's too small, etc.

Also want to mention though that one's not allowed to trade (ie buy, sell or swop) any locally collected specimens. :whistling:
Ja i know they are scooling fish.
I dont realy wana get rid of them but if i my bro comes back with small ones im gona keep all the small ones and let the big ones go to someone else. Like you.

I knew im not alowed to sell them. But dident know i couldend trade them.
But if im letting them go ill let you know then if you wana give me some other fish or coral its up to you. But you could have them then.

You are not allowed to trade them either.
But if somebody brought over some beers, and forget them in your fridge... ;)

And there is nothing in the law prohibiting you from selling a plastic bucket :whistling:

Actually the law makes sense. Somebody can go down to Durbs, strip a rockpool or two of all hermits and snails. They all end up in some petshop for R50 each. If the guy bring up 200, that is 10grand. Holiday and all other expenses for weekend paid.

No, I do not believe it is the right thing to do. It the same as with cheato. Its for free. If you want some from me, bring a 6 pack, and we both enjoy it while having a nice marine chat. Most likely you end up having your 6 anyway, ask @Quintonv :thumbup:

On previous occasions, I did bring hermits and snails back with me. More than I actually needed. And I gave all the extra ones away, There are a few fellow Centurion and Pretoria reefers who each got about 20 snails and hermits from me.

Make sure you feed enough Nori.

And that urchin loosing spines, not good. Must acclimatize them 2 times longer than fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not allowed to trade them either.
But if somebody brought over some beers, and forget them in your fridge... ;)

And there is nothing in the law prohibiting you from selling a plastic bucket :whistling:

Actually the law makes sense. Somebody can go down to Durbs, strip a rockpool or two of all hermits and snails. They all end up in some petshop for R50 each. If the guy bring up 200, that is 10grand. Holiday and all other expenses for weekend paid.

No, I do not believe it is the right thing to do. It the same as with cheato. Its for free. If you want some from me, bring a 6 pack, and we both enjoy it while having a nice marine chat. Most likely you end up having your 6 anyway, ask @Quintonv :thumbup:

On previous occasions, I did bring hermits and snails back with me. More than I actually needed. And I gave all the extra ones away, There are a few fellow Centurion and Pretoria reefers who each got about 20 snails and hermits from me.

Make sure you feed enough Nori.

And that urchin loosing spines, not good. Must acclimatize them 2 times longer than fish.

hehe.
ok cool ill tell him to bring some beers. Sounds beter anyways.
And i think trading Marine knowladge will be even beter.
Thanx RiaanP.

Ive decided ill give them to him if i wana get rid of them. Then who knows, one day ill also get some other fish or coral from fellow reefers when they get back from a lekke trip to durbs.

I must say this MASA buddies ive made is some of the friendliest ppl that i know.
I dont even know all of you and if i ask some q`s i get answers and great tips.

THANX TO ALL MASSA PPL

So what do you think must i do with the urchin. I wana do everything i can to save it.

What do i do?

hehe.
ok cool ill tell him to bring some beers. Sounds beter anyways.
And i think trading Marine knowladge will be even beter.
Thanx RiaanP.

Ive decided ill give them to him if i wana get rid of them. Then who knows, one day ill also get some other fish or coral from fellow reefers when they get back from a lekke trip to durbs.

I must say this MASA buddies ive made is some of the friendliest ppl that i know.
I dont even know all of you and if i ask some q`s i get answers and great tips.

THANX TO ALL MASSA PPL

So what do you think must i do with the urchin. I wana do everything i can to save it.

What do i do?

:yeahdude:

Um, :whistling: sushi.... Just joking..

Just leave it alone.Do not disturb it too much. It will either wither away and die (looks like it) or it could pull through. If by tomorrow afternoon, when you take it out and it stinks, then you know. Can then put it on some spot in the sun, to dry out completely, and later manually remove last spikes. That is if you want to keep the shell.

If it does die, your cleanup crew will be happy. Spikes could become a problem in future. As it will stay sharp enough to hurt you in a couple of months when you dig around in the substrate. (Been there, done that). So siphon it out if you can.

(Anytime @Quintonv)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just leave it alone.Do not disturb it too much. It will either wither away and die (looks like it) or it could pull through. If by tomorrow afternoon, when you take it out and it stinks, then you know. Can then put it on some spot in the sun, to dry out completely, and later manually remove last spikes. That is if you want to keep the shell.

If it does die, your cleanup crew will be happy. Spikes could become a problem in future. As it will stay sharp enough to hurt you in a couple of months when you dig around in the substrate. (Been there, done that). So siphon it out if you can.

(Anytime @Quintonv)

Ok cool.
Ill have a smell tomorow afterneen then.

Thanx man

:lol: Lol that just sounds wrong.... man
hehe. Ja i know.
I took the sea urchin out this morning cos all his spikes were falling off and he stinks like hell man.
His outside in the sun now.
Gona put him back when his all dried up and empty.

To bad, cos i realy liked him. He was nice and big aswell.

Cw out:(

Back
Top Bottom