fish advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wookie, 20 Dec 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Hi my lfs has new stock in regal tangs and powder blues, i did some research and regal are very susceptible to diseases like itch and lateral line disease but powder blues can be aggressive as i have a yellow tang already, which would be the better fish to buy any advice please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

My advice: Powders are very susceptible to WS, you will need to quarantine, but if you do, they might still get it if you haven't quarantined any fish prior, WS can be a "sleeping" parasite whereby your fish have an immunity. Regals are better, very calm fish. Also do you have other tangs in the tank already?
    You would need a very good UV system to keep WS away, that's what I've done with my powder blue and angels.
    Personally, stay away from these fish until you are ready for them. :)

Last edited: 20 Dec 2014
  4. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

I do have a uv in the dt and will quarantine but it's a very small quarantine tank, i have a yellow tang already in the dt.

5. mitchel

mitchel

If you have the space get a bigger qt tank 4 foot will do, that's what I used for the powder blue I got. I think I was lucky with that fish cause it had two spots on it when I put it in qt. the powder blue got on well with my reagl. Thank goodness I didn't have a out brake of white spot. Had my powder blue for ouer a year when my back up sistem failed my powder blue was the first to go.

They are lovely fish but power blues can be a nighter to keep. Good luck if you get one

6. Reaper

Reaper

It also depends on the size of your dt. What size is it?

7. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Is your yellow very aggressive? Because powder blues like to be the boss of the tank and if they're not they get even more stressed and are even more susceptible to disease.

8. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Eish tank is 4ft jebo gonna rethink this then cheers guys

9. Dolphin

Dolphin

@wookie, yep better to enjoy the yellow tang in that 4ft. When you have a larger tank, the regal tang is a better choice with regards to temperament. A good LFS will quarantine the fish for you, they may ask a higher price for this. Further quarantine the fish to ensure that it's disease free. PS. You need to have a proper germicidal grade UV to control diseases, and ideally not less than 55watts. Unfortunately most cheaper hobby grade UVs available at LFS are designed for algae control. Even a germicidal UV has varied effectiveness in DT. It's subject to circulation, substrate, rocks, etc. Your qt tank must have a UV on it also. Read up on proper qt protocols.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts